Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization that provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disasters. For over 40 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, and Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Currently, SI carries out emergency / post-emergency programs in the WASH sector in North-West Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water Officer
Location: Ngala, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Duration: Projected contract duration is 6 Months – with a possible extension.
Expected Start Date: 01/10/2021
Set-up and Operational Monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his / her sites.
- Take part in the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his / her supervision and by the population
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his / her line manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
Reporting / Communication / Representation:
- Keep his / her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his / her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his / her team leader
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues / Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his / her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- 1 year of experience in a similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- English (Kanuri, Shuwa, Kotoko a plus)
- Minimum of ND in Civil Engineering, water/sanitation engineering, geology/hydrology
- Relevant experience in borehole drilling, latrine construction or any building, structure and edifice of civil engineering
- Microsoft Office (Excel and Word skills), preferably GIS and drawing software (AutoCAD).
What We Offer
- Salary + food & housing contributions + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of Annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by the government, festive bonus, Life insurance (covering death and permanent disability) etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidates should open the application form, Water Officer – Ngala, fill the form and attach their CV and motivation letter.
- The CV attached must be named with your first name and surname.
- As the position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the application closing date
Application Deadline 22nd September, 2021.