Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Technical Assistant
Job Identification: 4654
Location: Pulka-Gwoza, Borno
Job Category: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: Dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the WASH Technical Assistance is to provide support to the WASH Technical Officer in all aspects of NRC WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation in Borno state. The following is a brief description of the role:
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus, and type of program intervention.
The following are some of the specific responsibilities expected from the post holder. These may be revised whenever the context changes significantly:
- To assist WASH Technical officer in the coordination of the WASH Technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets, and plans.
- To assist the WASH Technical officer in all aspects of WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- To assist in the identification of community water and sanitation needs.
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans.
- Conducts water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points.
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Technical officer and local counterparts on issues of water and sanitation information and communication strategies.
- Assists in the establishment, and training of community-based WASH committees as well as monitoring their performance.
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Assist WASH Technical officer in Breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly, and quarterly implementation plans.
- To assist in ensuring that procurement, development, and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning and implementation: WASH Program Manager
- Program Supports: Finance Officer, Administrative officer, Logistics Coordinator, and officers, Area Manager
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
- Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organization to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge, and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- B.Sc or Higher Diploma in Civil, Water Resources Engineering or Geology (BAC+5) minimum.
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred).
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts.
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ArcGIS, and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Minimum of 2 years experience from working with WASH TECHNICAL projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with the distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 – 3 years work experience in community-based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable.
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements, and protocols..
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation, and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Experience Hygiene promotion in cholera’s outbreak context within the host communities and camps.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently, and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work in insecure environments.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive, and accountable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th February, 2022, 11:20 AM.