Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Project Assistant
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 9 months
Contracted hours: 35
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Salary Band: G
Competency level: 2
- The WASH Project Assistants will be responsible for implementation of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities and support Hygiene Promoters in the Project Implementation Communities under the Christian Aid NHF Project.
- He/She will ensure and execute all field WASH activities such as beneficiary and water point selection, water point upgrading process monitoring, distribution of Hygiene kits, provision of Hygiene promotion training and any other task related to the project.
- The Project Assistant will also be involved in the implementation of integrated projects.
Under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator and in collaboration with the project MEAL team, the WASH Project Assistant will accomplish the following:
- Plan and Conduct WASH needs Assessment and KAP Surveys.
- Selection and Registration of beneficiaries.
- Training and Supervision of Community based Hygiene Promoters.
- Support Hygiene Promoters on awareness raising through house-to-house visits and distribution of IEC materials.
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly reports on project progress and work plan.
- Provide technical trainings on water point repairing to WASH target groups.
- Ensure liaison with other WASH stakeholders and existing community structures, (groups and individuals, women groups, religious leaders where possible.)
- Attend WASH Coordination Meetings at LGA level.
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own WASH as delegated.
- Establishment of Solid waste management system at implementing communities.
- Technical assessment of Handpump boreholes and supervision of borehole upgrade works by CAID Contractors.
- Supervise the Construction of household latrines and solid waste disposal pits.
- Ensure all work is carried out as per the community needs and project requirement.
- Any other official task assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Expected travel per annum: Occasional travel
- On call/unsocial hours No
- Surge capacity for emergency responses No.
- In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- The role is under Water, Sanitation and Hygiene WASH and reports to the Programme Coordinator. The Project Assistant will provide supervision to Community based Hygiene Promoters and oversee services of engaged Contractors in the Project’s Communities in implementing the WASH interventions while integrating with other sectoral interventions.
- The job role will include selection and screening of beneficiaries, Hygiene kits distribution and technical monitoring of handpump borehole upgrade and households latrine constructions.
- External Build strong relationships with WASH partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Internal Build strong relationship with program departments, FSL/Nutrition Staff, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
- Budgetary/savings responsibility Make decisions in order to manage team effectively, from recruitment of hygiene promoters to day-to-day management of team members.
- Contribute to decisions around project proposals, ensuring they are prepared and comply with reporting requirements.
- Make policy decisions that support standing and emergency issues. Contribute to shaping and implementing WASH strategy, making sound decisions to support this.
- Also providing technical input and overall leadership to all field workers and contractors representatives.
- Day to day decision to ensure projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas.
Applied Skills / Knowledge and Expertise:
- The post holder should have a First Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or WASH related field with 2 – 3 years’ experience of working in emergency response with local and/international partner organizations and exposure to field operations.
- Have the capacity to be flexible and supervise and coach community-based Hygiene Promoters.
- Excellent coordination skills, good understanding of principles of effective planning, appropriate time management.
- Strong report writing skills
- Strong positive attitude and ability to manage a wide range of issues of complicated procedures, indicated by 2 – 3 years learning period.
- Be proficient in the use of computer software (AutoCAD, Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Familiar with WASH context in the northeast Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in the local languages.
- Works on complex specialist/ technical issues. Problems and issue, risks and benefits may have implications across a number of departments.
Digital/IT competencies required
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint: Intermediate
- Web content design & development: N/A
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling: Intermediate
- Social Media: Intermediate
Developing Self and Others:
- Number of Direct reports N/A
- Overall people management responsibility 20 Hygiene Promoters (Casual Workers)
- The Job holder has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members.
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance Standard Counter terrorism screening Not required
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 26th January, 2022.
Interview Date 3rd February 2022.