WASH Officer at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Job ID: 230000H8
Location: Dutse, Jigawa
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- To support the implementation of the WASH component of the project including construction/rehabilitation of water and sanitation facilities and collaboration with WASH stakeholders at state/LGA levels.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Response Team Lead/Project Coordinator
- Staff directly reporting to this post: WASH Officer
Key Areas Of Accountabilities
Objective 1 – Take the lead on the Rehabilitation/Construction of Water and Sanitation Facilities at Communities of implementation:
- Work with the Logistic Coordinator, Finance, and Grants Compliance Team to identify and contract vendors to ensure the planned activities are in accordance with the specified designs and standard.
- Prepare weekly plans and schedule of work for all construction/rehabilitation sites, while ensuring compliance in meeting and reaching deadlines and targets.
- Work with and support the vendors to ensure all materials and equipment are in stock and any necessary orders are placed for all actions to be carried.
- Provide interpretation to designs of work and work according to specifications.
- Establish a site book at each location and make a report on progress registered in the site book while ensuring signing in with remarks.
- Must adhere strictly to standards and ensure the quality of materials used by the contractors falls within the utmost standard.
- Carry out field visits to assess sites at the respective facilities to ensure quality of work is up to standard
Objective 2 – Take the lead on the Integration of Hygiene Promotion into other SCI programming:
- Liaise with RUWASSA and the LGA WASH departments on WASH programming and ensure that all activities are done with their active participation and support
- Provide support on WASH to other SCI programmes and initiatives when required
- Ensure that WASH is integrated into all training carried out on the project
- Carry out advocacy visits to key stakeholders at both state, LGA and community levels
- Support periodic evaluation studies to evaluate the impact of the WASH component
- Contribute technical expertise to donor proposals for any future project
- Carry out regular supportive supervision visits on hygiene promotion to SC integrated projects
- Build the capacity of partners and SCI staffs on hygiene promotion
- Ensure that community mobilisation approaches on the project fully integrate hygiene promotion concepts
- Engage community leaders and other key stakeholders at LGA level on hygiene promotion
Objective 3 – Monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities:
- Prepare a monthly plan of field activities and share with relevant staff
- Develop and implement tools for monitoring of WASH activities (Hygiene promotion) in collaboration with the M&E team
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement
- Prepare activities’ weekly, monthly, semi-annual and annual reports and other ad hoc reports according to agreed timelines and as required
- Timely collection and analysis of data for the monitoring of the activities
- Identify the problems in the implementation process and propose solutions
- First Degree in Engineering, Geology, Geography or other WASH-related fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution in Nigeria
- An advanced degree will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years post NYSC relevant experience
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Training and experience on borehole and VIP latrine construction/rehabilitation
- Community mobilization and advocacy experience
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa spoken and written
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th February, 2023.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: WASH Officer at Save the Children
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.