WASH Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Assistant (Hygiene Promotion)
Job ID: 230000HA
Location: Dutse, Jigawa
Contract Length: 4 Months
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 in view of the potential situation which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children.
- Under the direct supervision of the WASH officer, the incumbent will be required to work as a member of the WASH unit towards the improvement of hygiene promotion and community mobilization activities effectiveness
- Particularly as part of the WASH intervention, to safeguard and improve the public health of the affected population by promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services; ensuring appropriate targeted community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities and sensitization.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: WASH Officer
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Assist in promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services among target communities.
- Assist the community mobilizers to mobilize the communities to mitigate priority water and sanitation related health risks, promoting the BCC strategy and keeping records of the community volunteers participating in HP activities.
- Participate in the HP campaign by conducting house to house visits focused on hygiene promotion and public health, focus groups and mass campaign using songs, posters, etc. promoting Community Lead Total Sanitation (CLTS) and PHAST methodology and assisting the community mobilizers in the implementation of gathering events.
- Provide a weekly activity progress report to the Hygiene Promotion Officer, highlighting achievements versus targets.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by WASH Officer;
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct; health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Support WASH officer for emergency response (WASH) across field office within Nigeria.
- Assist in communicating effectively with the communities targeted, ensuring that hygiene and health messages are passed on with participatory interventions, allowing ownership and empowerment of the beneficiaries to influence their hygiene and health.
- Assist in selecting, train, and manage Community WASH Standing committees, such as Community Water Management Committee members, sanitation facilities caretakers and volunteer hygiene promoter networks within the targeted beneficiaries.
- First Degree in Engineering, Geology, Geography or other WASH-related fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution in Nigeria
- An advanced degree will be an added advantage
- At least 1-2 years post NYSC relevant experience
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Experience in Nutrition and in community-based programmes
- Community mobilization and advocacy experience
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa spoken and written
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Excellent communication skill
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th February, 2023.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: WASH Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) at Save the Children
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.