FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Monitoring & Evaluation
Supervisor: Senior Technical Advisor, Strategic Use of Data
- The Nigeria Alive &Thrive (A&T) MIYCN social and behavior change program focuses on improving the delivery and expanding the coverage of MIYCN interventions that contribute to reducing maternal, newborn and child mortality and morbidity. A&T will work across the public and NGO sectors to improve MIYCN through A&T’s four components: advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data.
- At the national level, A&T will predominantly work with its public and NGO sector partners to improve the implementation, monitoring, and enforcement of key MIYCN policies (e.g., Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes; maternity leave; workplace support; breastfeeding-friendly health care and delivery facilities). A&T will also work in seven states—Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Yobe, Borno, and Sokoto—to apply the four components to reach households, communities, and facilities with targeted, age-appropriate social and behavior change communication (SBCC) messaging on MIYCN practices.
- At both the national level and in the seven states, emphasis will be to build the capacity of the public sector (primary healthcare facilities) and local NGOs/CBOs to improve MIYCN practices, advance MIYCN policies, expand the promotion of positive social norms, and extend timed and age-appropriate behavior change messaging through commercial facilities to households and communities.
- Alive & Thrive Nigeria is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and managed by FHI Solutions.
- M&E Officer, under the supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor (SUD), is responsible for supporting the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities for the state offices and project sub grantees.
- The M&E Officer will work with others in the country office and field offices to ensure that field monitoring and evaluation activities are appropriate, of high quality, and meet the donor and project’s M&E needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the country office, state level M&E staff and government counterparts to provide support and guidance on program/project monitoring and evaluation activities and on Government of Nigeria reporting requirements.
- Work with state offices and sub grantees to support the correct implementation and use of monitoring and evaluation tools, and adherence to complete, correct and timely reporting.
- Help ensure that the quality of program/project activities adheres to SOPs by supporting the development and implementation of appropriate mechanisms to ensure quality of all program interventions.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the computerized data capture of program activities and provide technical assistance and training to the staff of sub grantees responsible for data entry and management.
- Contribute to the design and technical development of monitoring and evaluation initiatives at the national and state levels. Provide related capacity building support to sub grantees.
- Conduct periodic monitoring visits to state offices and project sites, including the conduct of data quality assessments (DQAs) using official tools; assist in the preparation of monthly reports, and provide supportive supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- M.SC/MA in Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation or relevant Degree with 3 – 5 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation for Global Health Initiatives.
- Or BS/BA in statistics, monitoring and evaluation or in relevant degree with 5 to 7 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation for Global Health Initiatives.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation for nutrition initiatives.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and sub grantees.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills especially use of data analytical software.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
- Knowledge of maternal, infant, and young child nutrition (MIYCN) programming in Nigeria.
- Systems strengthening experience and organizational capacity building/training skills for improving M&E systems.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply