Justice & Empowerment Initiatives (JEI) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization with offices in Lagos and Port Harcourt, Nigeria. We support the Nigerian Slum / Informal Settlement Federation (Federation) to empower poor and marginalized individuals and communities to lead the changes that they would like to see in their own communities whether greater access to justice for the poor, pro-poor urban governance and policy, or community-led in-situ upgrading and development.
Our work is community driven, community owned, and community sustained. The Federation and its member communities identify their needs and set priorities. These priorities direct all aspects of our work.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Staff Attorney
Location: Lagos or Port Harcourt – Rivers
Start Date: Immediate
- JEI is looking for a committed individual with significant civil litigation, criminal defense, and alternative dispute resolution experience to join our team as a Staff Attorney based in either Lagos or Port Harcourt.
- He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to using the law as a tool for social change and supporting grassroots legal empowerment and access to justice.
- The Staff Attorney will work with members of JEI staff, community paralegals, and members of grassroots movements we support.
- Work with JEI’s legal team and community paralegals to provide grassroots legal aid and legal education to urban poor populations in Lagos or Port Harcourt, with a focus on persons living in slums/informal settlements, persons working in the informal economy, persons living with disabilities, and minorities.
- Train, encourage, and supervise community paralegals in Lagos or Port Harcourt.
- Draft and file legal processes and make court appearances.
- Conduct legal research in support of strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond paralegal supervision, litigation, and research as part of the JEI team.
- At least 5 years experience in civil litigation and criminal defense. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than three years’ experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Degree in Law and admission (current) to the Nigerian Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to use law as a tool for social change.
- Strong legal writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training / teaching skills required.
- NGO project management experience a plus.
- Experience litigating cases before ECOWAS Community Court of Justice and/or the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights a plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Hausa, Egun, Yoruba, Igbo, or other languages skills a significant plus.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Training and experience in human rights law a plus.
- Training and experience in land law a plus.
A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Cover Letter and two writing samples from relevant work to: [email protected] using “Lagos Staff Attorney” or “Port Harcourt Staff Attorney” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Application Deadline 31st January, 2022.