Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. As a global health organization with locally led, community-driven programs, we support women to make their own reproductive health decisions. We work with local partners to advance contraceptive services, comprehensive abortion care, and young people’s sexual and reproductive rights in communities around the world including those affected by poverty, conflict, climate change, and natural disasters. Taken together, our programs enable millions of people to choose their own paths forward.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor
Requisition Number: SENIO001332
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Collaborates with country teams and business units to develop, promote and apply Pathfinder MEL standards, tools, and practices to achieve quality, appropriate monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL).
- Leads or advises on the design and articulation of a MEL approach at the proposal phase that is fit for purpose and resourced.
- With capacity building as a guiding principle, advises project staff on MEL planning, performance monitoring, evaluation, and learning. Facilitates and synthesizes learning, as well as contributes to and leverages the global evidence base.
Key Job Outcomes
- Proposal Planning and Review: Leads or provides assistance to project teams to design and articulate a MEL approach at the proposal phase that is fit for purpose, drawing on Pathfinder’s MEL strategies and standards. Provides input to technical approach, including participating actively in development and pressure testing of the Theory of Change and reviewing the narrative to encourage MEL approaches and principles of quality are folded into project design.
- MEL Project Planning and Implementation: Advises projects on MEL plan development, including appropriate selection of final project indicators, targets, data sources/methodologies, and work plans to ensure effective implementation.
- Systems, Policies, Standards and Guidelines: Develops or contributes to Pathfinder-wide policies, guidelines, tools and standards in alignment with MEL strategy and organizational needs. Provides input on metrics for organizational use.
- Database and Process Design and Implementation: Advises projects on the design and use of program performance measurement systems (tools, database and processes) that allow for accurate, flexible, and reliable information collection, analysis, reporting and adaptive management.
- Data Collection Methodology; Advises on conceptualization, development and implementation of an appropriate system for collecting MEL data to enable the project to regularly review and use data to track progress against goals, improve the quality of the interventions, report to stakeholders, and to contribute to Pathfinder and the global evidence base. Advise on evaluation and implementation science efforts including refinement of learning question/objectives and appropriate activities/methodologies.
- Data Collection Tools: Advises on appropriate data collection tools, including but not limited to monitoring tools and forms, survey questionnaires, key informant interview guides, facility assessment and supervision tools, and supporting training materials, leveraging Pathfinder standards, where appropriate. Mentors project staff to design and effectively use data collection tools. Advises on terms of reference for consulting firms, critically reviewing consultant reports and other deliverables, and deploying ethical clearance procedures.
- Data review, use and learning: Provides technical assistance to country offices and projects on analysis techniques and synthesis of results from routine and non-routine data sources. Facilitate learning from project results/findings to inform and influence program implementation and learning.
- Training and Education Development and Delivery: Designs, develops and delivers relevant training to Pathfinder staff.
- Documentation and Reports: Advises on and reviews project status reports. Generates or contributes to evidence curation, including abstracts and peer-reviewed manuscripts for conference presentations and publications.
- Technical Assistance: Provides technical assistance to country offices, host-country governments, local partners, and other agencies on monitoring, evaluation and research, as needed.
- Brand Ambassador: Represents Pathfinder International to external organizations and audiences at professional meetings and conferences as assigned.
Required Education, Training, and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Demography, Epidemiology, Statistics, Social Sciences or a related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies.
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in MEL health/development projects or equivalent, experience with SRHR MEL preferred
- Experience living and working in a developing country.
Minimally Required Job Specific Competencies:
- Program and Project Planning and Management: Deep skills in program and project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Proposal Development: Mastery of skills in proposal development from concept to full proposal.
- Data Quality Assurance: Knowledge of data quality assurance principles and practices in SRHR.
- Data Collection Methods: Advanced knowledge in data integrity and collection methods.
- Research Methods: Demonstrated experience and ability to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of programs, including program strategies and indicators, and the latest professional developments in SRHR, including special challenges faced in the developing world.
- Change Leadership: Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility in managing change across a broad group of stakeholders in an inclusive manner.
- Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations on results to small and large groups.
- Community Relations: Mastery of skills in facilitating working relationships between partners, government officials, and communities.
- Software/tools: Proven ability to apply data analysis, management and visualization software packages/tools.
- Country Specific Public Health System: Knowledge of the countries’ public health systems.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Languages: Proven English writing and speaking skills, French also strongly preferred.
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others, including donor agencies and local partners, through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook; DHIS2 experience preferred.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to work with people from different cultures, ability thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, ability to think critically and nimbly, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and positive social and gender norms.
- Travel required (up to 30%)
- Eligible to work in a Pathfinder country
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.