Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Commissioning and Start-Up Engineer
Requisition ID: R60734
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Job Family Group: Production Engineering Upstream
Worker Type: Regular
Business Unit: Upstream
Experience Level: Experienced Professionals
- We’re seeking someone who’s an expert in commissioning and start-up (CSU) engineering within the oil and gas sector. Here’s a role that will develop and grow your professional and personal skills, with the chance to make a real difference within a supportive, positive company.
Where You Fit In
- As a Senior Commissioning and Start-Up Engineer, you will be involved in preparing and monitoring design and construction reviews to ensure design and activities are in line with the approved project specifications, standards and documentation requirements to maintain commissioning records also in managing work, as well as supervising the junior colleagues in the team in order – to ensure all projects assigned to them are efficiently delivered to a high professional quality.
- The Senior Commissioning and Start-Up Engineer should have significant operational experience, preferably Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO), offshore and onshore experience, exceptional interpersonal and management skills.
- The work will be executed in a very challenging environment and business solutions will be required to a wide range of issues not all of which will be of a technical nature. Teamwork and influencing, communication skills will be a key requisite, as will the ability to operate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
What’s The Role?
- Your main responsibility as a Senior Commissioning and Start-Up Engineer is to support Commissioning & Start-Up (CSU) Lead in design, assurance and safety reviews, planning, documentations, pre-commissioning, commissioning, start-up of portfolio projects in line with Shell Project Standard CSU and Handover Practitioners Guide requirements and industry best practice.
- You will support the asset team during start-up planning, developing/reviewing procedures, and actual start-up activities.
- You will also support the update of projects Completions Management System for all the projects/work scope.
Your further accountabilities will include:
- Providing commissioning inputs to projects front-end definition.
- Assess all activities associated within the commissioning systems allocated to the individual and present justified training requirements for commissioning manager’s approval.
- Participate in all coordination, scheduling, safety and progress review meetings; and administer Change Control System.
- Ensure and assist as required that all discipline tests are complete.
- Ensure the newly built asset is suitably labelled for process pipe, equipment, instrumentation, electrical items etc.
- Attend design review meetings as required per assigned systems, i.e. hazard and operability (HAZOP), Process and Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) review and model reviews.
- Supervise activities of assigned commissioning engineers and technicians, including contractor resources.
- Support the CSU Lead in producing project commissioning and start-up deliverables (plans, schedules, manpower, budget, procedures) in line with corporate standards and methods.
- Contribute to project design and quality assurance activities and deliverables.
- Provide input to, and support implementation of, project HSE and quality plans.
- Support commissioning and start up execution activities and associated Permit to Work (PtW) requirements.
- Review commissioning and start up deliverables as may be assigned by the CSU Lead.
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry into Projects Completions and Certification Management System (CCMS)
- Update of all commissioning documentation pre & post start-up.
- Participate in all pre start-up safety reviews and pre start-up hazard study activities.
- Input into systemization of the plant and create all commissioning documentation and check sheets for assigned systems.
- Organise and execute all commissioning activities within responsible systems.
- If required prepare Standard Operating Procedures, prepare and deliver training packages.
- Carry out all commissioning and start-up activities safely to schedule and punch list allocated systems.
What We Need From You?
We’re keen to hear from individuals with 5 – 7 years of working experience in upstream operations or commissioning and start-up roles and preferably a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent. Alongside this, we would hope to see the following on your CV:
- Extensive oil and gas industry experience including front-line supervisory roles for operations and/or maintenance and/or engineering.
- Knowledgeable in Project Management Framework, and CSU & Handover Practitioners guide.
- Leading by example in HSE / HSE management systems skills.
- Experience in a supervisory role for Commissioning and Start Up activities in projects through multiple phases (Identify / Assess, Select, Define, Execute) including:
- Implementation of Commissioning strategy and execution plan.
- Developing & implementing Commissioning plans, procedures and budgets.
- Specifying Commissioning contractor technical support requirements.
- Supervising multi-disciplinary pre-Commissioning and Commissioning activities (process, mechanical, instrument, electrical);
- Technical and HSE risk identification and mitigation (including Flawless Project Delivery);
- Application of a computerized Completions Management System.
- Experience in structured technical review or audit.
- Effective communication skill – both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate subject area within multi-disciplined project team.
- Proven ability and track record as an effective team leader.
- People coaching, mentoring, diplomacy skill.
- Skilled in influencing, excellent relationships- both up and down the organization.
- A self-starter and quick learner –who can attain to an SME in Commissioning in a short period.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply