54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Employment Type: Full-time
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Financial Controller
Supervises: Junior Accountant
- We are looking for an ambitious Accountant to provide support to the finance department by managing daily accounting tasks in a smooth, timely and efficient manner across different jurisdictions.
- You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances.
- Preparing financial statements and financial reporting are a large part of the accountant’s routine work.
- The ideal candidate should be well-versed in accounting principles, month-end closing procedures, preparation of management accounts and should be able to work comfortably with numbers while paying attention to detail. Reporting to the Financial Controller, s/he provides assistance for the finance function to achieve its departmental objectives in financial reporting, treasury and liquidity management, delivering improved cash flow, budgeting, cost reduction, optimizing financial performance and fostering the growth of the company.
- The role requires hands-on oversight in maintaining the company’s financial records, overseeing accounts payable, payment processing, budgetary/regulatory compliance and ensuring adequate liquidity during periods of rapid growth.
- S/he also provides effective support to the financial controller in day-to-day planning, implementing, managing and controlling of accounting and financial-related activities of the company.
Overseeing the Account payable & payment processing functions:
- Monitoring payment cycle activities and ensure all due vendor, employee and regulatory payment obligations are settled and when due.
- Ensure strict compliance to the payment process in line with payment terms, supporting/KYC documentation and appropriate budgetary approvals
- perform suppliers statement reconciliation, ageing analysis and key project reconciliation.
- Recommend improvements to the account payable process.
Month-end closing & Account reconciliations:
- Posting and reconciliation of designated bank accounts regularly
- Handling intercompany reconciliation transactions and postings(Kenya/Tanzania/Senegal)
- Preparation of TB and monthly management accounts on or before day 15 of every new month.
- Ensure accurate bank account reconciliation reports are available for sign-off at work day 5 of every month.
- Support each month-end closing with any journal entries, accruals and supplier postings, prepayments, depreciation runs, or intercompany schedules as may be allocated to you.
Treasury Management Support:
- Work closely with the financial controller to review funding needs and report of treasury activities for leadership.
- Managing banking relationships, review bank instructions and other correspondence.
- Provide periodic ad-hoc reports as may be necessary.
- Support cash and liquidity management through cash flow planning and forecasting.
- Consolidation of monthly and annual departmental budgets
- Consolidation of weekly rolling cash flow forecast.
- Monitoring of actual spending against budget for variance analysis or cash utilization report.
- Maintain company records for easy retrieval during audit fieldwork
- Ensure your work is ready for external audit 30 days after the end of each financial year
- Ensure all items on the external auditor’s management letter that affect your role are closed and do not re-occur in the next audit
- Preparation of audited financial statement.
Project Accounting Support:
- Represent the finance team in an assigned project team and track all financial data, project costs and also facilitate payments related to the project.
Requirements / Qualifications
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized university
- Membership with ICAN / ACCA / CPA / CMA is compulsory
- A Diploma or certificate in IFRS is required for ICAN/CPA/CMA holder
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration (MBA) and related degrees or certification in CFA is an added advantage.
- Candidate must have completed NYSC service year.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience
- Big 4 experience is an added advantage
- Experience working in a company based in multiple locations and across different countries is preferred.
- Experience working in the accounts payable functions or a similar division within the finance department is a plus.
- Strong understanding of finance, GAAP, IFRS, and/or technical accounting, preferred.
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment, experience in rapidly growing companies, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good with numbers/figures and analytical acumen in managing financial records.
- Good understanding of account and financial reporting principles/practices.
- Intermediate to expert proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with relevant accounting software or ERP packages (e.g. Saga, SAP)
- Results-oriented and able to manage demands and prioritize.
- English fluency, excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Cross-cultural competency, ability to adapt fast and work as part of a diverse, global team.
- High level of precision and commendable attention to detail in data analysis and reporting.
- Ability to build good relationships with other employees, bankers and stakeholders.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- Valid international travel documentation
- Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Equal Opportunity Employer
- 54gene celebrates diversity and is proud to be an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital status, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristics