Research Manager, Nigeria at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Nigeria
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Manager, Nigeria
Job Type: International
Reports Directly to: Country Director
Desired Start Date: ASAP
- We are recruiting for a Research Manager in the Nigeria country office which opened in 2019. We are seeking an ambitious candidate who wants to take part in establishing and shaping a new country program and portfolio of research studies in Nigeria. The position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria with extensive travel to project sites around the country.
- The Research Manager will oversee the initial portfolio of projects and will be responsible for the overall management of a portfolio of three to five RCTs, including assisting with hiring project management staff, interaction with PIs, and face-to-face coordination with partner organizations and Nigerian local, state and national government stakeholders.
- These projects will include large scale surveys across several Nigerian states. Each of these projects is expected to be staffed with a permanent team of 1 or 2 staff each and up to 30-50 short term staff during survey periods.
- This position is a unique opportunity as the successful candidate will play an integral role in working with IPA’s country, regional, and global teams to put into place the research management and administrative structures for the new IPA Nigeria country office.
- He/she will be a core member of the IPA Nigeria management team and contribute to the establishment of the policies and procedures, development of new projects, stakeholder outreach, and capacity building.
- Work with the Country Director, regional and global teams to ensure a strong administrative setup of the Nigeria office, including assisting with hiring of key project staff, creation and implementation of sound human resource, financial, and operational policies and procedures, and compliance with organizational and Nigerian laws, standards, and research ethics requirements.
- Build systems and structures to build staff capacity and lead training on data management and general project management for new / incoming project research staff.
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings.
- Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems.
- Represent IPA and attend regular meetings with government officials, donors, and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities.
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principal Investigators.
- Directly supervise project research associates, and lead transitions, onboarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities;
- Ensure project adherence to general research design, sample selection, data management and general research protocols, and overall project management timelines.
- Ensure that project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted to donors and partners on time.
- Respond to existing calls for proposals in coordination with PIs and IPA’s Business Development team and support the development of new projects for the Nigeria office by establishing relationships with researchers, implementers, and funders, and developing opportunities and proposals.
- Master’s Degree in Development Economics, Public Policy, Global Health, International Education or a related field.
- At least three (3) years of experience in managing multiple projects with increasing responsibility.
- Experience supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation and data management; background in randomized control trials;
- Advanced knowledge of quantitative data collection relevant to measurement and instrument development.
- Ability to work independently and problem-solve, as well as enlist the support of other teams within the organization.
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated experience in writing project proposals and/or grants, preferably for international field research.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required.
- Advanced skills in Stata or any statistical packages preferably R and/or CSPro;
- Strong quantitative, budgeting and financial management skills.
- Experience interacting with partners, government officials and other key stakeholders in a developing country context.
- Experience with presenting research findings at public forums, including to non-research focused audiences Experience with data management, econometrics, and electronic data collection platforms.
- Strong attention to detail, with a quality-focused mindset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Research Manager, Nigeria at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Nigeria
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.