Regional Coordinator & Head of Kano Office at the British High Commission (BHC) Nigeria
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Regional Coordinator & Head of Kano Office (01/23KAN)
Grade: Grade 7 (G7)
Type of Position: Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week: 35
Duration of Post: 36 months
Type of Post British Consulate
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Programme Roles)
Start Date: 1 May 2023
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
- The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO Nigeria) is responsible for managing the British Government’s contribution to development, diplomacy and defence in Nigeria, with the objective of supporting subnational governments and collaborating with development partners at federal and state levels to reduce poverty.
- FCDO Nigeria is looking for a vibrant, dynamic, well experienced and committed Nigerian to lead delivery of results for FCDO as Regional Coordinator and Head of the Kano Office and having oversight of FCDO operations and activities in the North-West region of the country. This is an exciting opportunity to represent the organisation to some of the most senior Nigerian and UK Government stakeholders and drive forward results in Kano and the North-West region of Nigeria.
- The post holder will be expected to work across sectors and develop strong relationships with state governments and implementing partners. S/he should be resilient, a strong team player, a leader and with ability to work with limited supervision and possess excellent networking, negotiation and influencing skills. S/he should be experienced at delivering results, with good leadership skills and ability to influence in complex and fragile environments (particularly in Northern Nigeria).
- The post holder will work with the Head of the Sub-National team (SNT) to drive forward strategic dialogue and mutual accountability engagements in Kano State and other partners states in the North-West region. In close consultation with the Head of the SNT, the post holder will help build His Majesty Government’s (HMGs) understanding of the political and development context of Kano and North-West states, with a view to influence subnational governments in line with FCDO’s political and development interests, policy objectives and to drive forward Programme implementation in Kano State.
- The post holder would also work collaboratively and in close partnership with FCDO Block Leads, Portfolio Responsibility Owners (PROs), Senior Responsibility Oweners (SROs), Programme Managers and Implementing Partners to deliver on FCDO’s interests in Kano and the North-West region.
- The Subnational Team (SNT), is a critical arm of HMGs enabling teams, thus the post holder will work collaboratively with other FCDO Enabling Team Leads and FCDO Block leads to tell a coherent FCDO story at the Sub-National, and ensure success of HMGs work in Nigeria as “a force for good”.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop effective relationships with Government officials, Politicians and Political Office holders, Development partners, Civil society, Traditional and Religious Institutions and other important non-state actors to effectively influence approach(es) to development and diplomacy; as well as representing FCDO at high level policy and programme discussions in Kano and the North-West region.
- Drive forward FCDO political, policy and programme objectives in Kano state including on results, programme coordination, political and policy analysis. Liaising with the Sub-National Team Lead and Abuja political team to provide real time political updates.
- Lead the coordination and coherence of FCDO Nigeria’s work in Kano state. Lead FCDO’s work covering a broad range of political influencing and political economy analysis; development programming agenda including human development, social protection, economic growth, governance, and conflict reduction programmes.
- Drive forward Strategic Dialogue (SD) and Mutual Accountability Framework (MAF) engagements with Kano State and work collaboratively with government, programme implementing partners and donors to deliver on agreed commitments. Job holder will work with the Sub-National Team Leader and Security team to manage security risks effectively, when bringing colleagues and senior leadership to Kano state to participate in the strategic dialogue and mutual accountability engagements.
- Own and support the design, implementation, and monitoring of key programmes within Kano state and wider North-West engagements as and when required.
- Own, support, and shape the development and delivery of FCDO and UK government strategy through providing regular state political context and development analysis; exploring opportunities to deepen FCDO/HMG’s engagements and mitigating threats.
- Facilitate and drive forward improved donor coordination and harmonization and coordinate FCDO Programme Implementing Partners in Kano state where relevant, working with appropriate state ministries, departments, and agencies; and encouraging donors to join and align their delivery with the State Strategic dialogue and mutual accountability framework.
- Contribute to FCDO Nigeria Office Management on corporate requirements in liaison with the Kano Office manager for response to correspondence, briefings, parliamentary questions, reporting, preparations for high level visits, communications, programme reviews and core agendas e.g., Value for Money, Results and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL).
- Support the FCDO Nigeria Office Management as necessary in a flexible, co-operative, and collaborative manner, engaging where required on corporate and other matters for the effective and efficient implementation of FCDO Programmes in Kano States and North-West region. Contribute to effective Line Management of Kano Staff, in liaison with Corporate Service Managers.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of Honours Degree from an internationally recognised University
- Good Leadership skills and competencies and experienced in programme management – particularly in the development sector /international community.
- Proficient in English (both written and verbal).
- Higher understanding of the current climate in the North West region.
- Proven cultural, social and political sensitivity of working in Northern Nigeria, with various stakeholders, and with a good working knowledge of Hausa.
- Location: The post holder will be based in Kano but expected to travel regularly across the North-West, to Abuja, and any other state locations (security permitting).
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience working within the international donor community and/or INGOs
- Programme /Protfolio Management qualifications and certifications
- Ability to communicate clearly in Hausa language and understanding of cultural nuances:
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Leadership, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together.
USD 58,629.18 per annum.
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- Monday – Thursday 08:00 – 16:30, Friday 08:00 – 13:00
- If the job is suitable for flexible working patterns, please provide details:
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd March, 2023.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Honorary Consulate in Kano, Nigeria will neverrequest any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- The current legacy DFID Terms and Conditions of Employment will apply to all internal locally employed staff on promotion and new entrants subject to local employment labour law.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Honorary Consulate in Kano, Nigeria does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Current employees (CBS) transferring between departments need to obtain a new police clearance/certificate of good conduct to be successfully appointed to the position.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Regional Coordinator & Head of Kano Office at the British High Commission (BHC) Nigeria
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria