The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Radiology Assistant
SVN No. : SVN2022.60
IOM Classification : G4
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC)
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer / Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Radiologic Technologist, with the guidance of the IOM Teleradiology Center for technical matters, the successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Prepare the daily chest X-ray worklist extracted from the overall health assessment worklist and share the worklist with the IOM radiology unit staff or with the external service provider and accompany the applicants to the radiology service provider for CXR taking if an external provider does the x-ray.
- Enter the biodata correctly and timely on the x-ray reporting template for immigrants and refugees as needed and save files appropriately or pass them to the radiologist as per work arrangement.
- Verify the identification of immigrants and refugees using original passports or valid IDs with photos including name, age and gender to prevent substitution during X-ray taking, and assist in organizing and properly handling the applicants at the radiology reception.
- When the IOM X-ray service is outsourced to an external provider, remind the Radiologic Technologist at the external provider to take technically good quality CXR per IOM radiology guidelines and the resettlement country technical instructions.
- Prepare the daily X-ray statistical reports and other necessary Radiology Unit related monthly statistics as needed. Cross check and confirm the correctness of the number of chest X-ray readings by Radiologist as required.
- Coordinate with the Migrant Health Assessment Center and IOM country mission staff and x-ray machine provider when needed.
- Assist IOM radiologic technologist in maintaining optimal workflow, keeping the safety of the machines, keeping track of X-ray consumables and early notification, and creating a client-friendly environment in the radiology unit.
- Contribute to the radiation safety measures in the Radiology Unit by complying with the radiation safety rules and regulations and regularly wearing radiation measuring badges while at work.
- Make sure the chest X-rays are completed promptly by the external radiology service provider when the chest Xrays are taken by the external provider and assist in the timely transfer of the chest X-ray images from the external provider to the IOM image server as needed when there is no set up for direct image transfer.
- Upload the chest X-ray image to the e-Medical website timely and properly, burn the images on CD or prepare hard copy X-ray documents as needed.
- Assist the IOM Radiology Technologist or the external radiology service provider in X-ray-related counselling, check pregnancy for female applicants and cross-check if consent was taken when the applicant is pregnant.
- Complete the identity confirmation part of the chest examination on the e-Medical website and enter data into Global Software for the UK pre-entry TB screening programme and/or MiMOSA as needed.
- Assist in providing radiation protection led shields to applicants. In the case of an external service provider, make sure the external service provider uses pelvic lead shielding for all applicants.
- Assist the radiologic technologist in entering the applicant’s biodata into the CR/DR machine and ensuring the standard and correct labelling of Chest X-rays by checking the correctness of biodata.
- Communicate with the Radiologist in the mission or IOM Teleradiology Center for reading the chest X-rays, notify when CXR is done and sent to the server, receive additional view requests, call the applicants, and coordinate with the Radiologic Technologist, make sure the additional views are completed on time.
- Download the X-ray reports from the radiology system or shared folder where the reports are filed and deliver the report to the panel physicians as needed.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science field such as Computer Science, Information Technology / Management, Administration, Health Sciences or related fields with two years of experience. OR
- Diploma in any of the above fields with four years of experience required.
- Experience in technical or administrative support, and clerical work.
- Experience within a customer-focused / people-focused setting.
- Previous experience in a clinical environment or working in a Radiology department is an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience using different software and medical/digital radiology system applications is an advantage.
- Computer skills proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise
- Organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English is required.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2022.60 Abuja Radiology Assistant”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts
Application Deadline 30th May, 2022.
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.