Nutrition Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Supervisor
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Ensure the implementation of all nutritional related activities of the program, coordinate, and manage the team under his /her responsibility according to the MSF protocols in order to improve the nutritional conditions of the target population.
- Schedules and organizes all nutrition related activities, its organization design and sizing as well as its associated budget in order to efficiently maintain the continuity of the nutritional healthcare at the standard quality levels.
- Supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, evaluation, development and communication) of the nutrition staff of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, improve people capabilities and skills.
- Supervise the implementation of the nutritional program according to MSF protocols, standards. This includes:
- Draw up outpatients activity planning,
- Supervises, in cooperation with the pharmacist and project medical referent, the management of the pharmacy, ensuring reception and storage of orders, preparing new orders when required, supervising expiration terms and consumption patterns, in order to ensure, a rationale use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and above minimum safety point.
- Ensure correct nutritional data collection (registers, nutritional forms, morbidity forms), compile weekly and monthly statistics for the outpatients unit, report this information to the line manager and provide feedback on the results to the team. In these sense, this function includes all kind of nutritional information that nutritional supervisor has in his /her hands.
- Follow up the evolution of patients and discuss the problem cases taking part in the medical assistant’s round, and install referral system
- Check that medical and nutrition prescriptions are carried out.
- Check the diffusion, knowledge and application of medical, nutritional and anthropometric protocols.
- Supervise nursing care and hygiene circumstances.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Ensure that mothers are well informed about the functioning of the centre, the state and evolution of their child: their tasks (help with cleaning, feeding their child, etc).
MSF Section/Context-Specific Accountabilities
- Supervise the implementation of nutrition care activities for severe acute malnourished patients at the Noma children’s hospital and the in-patient therapeutic feeding centre (ITFC) at Sokoto Specialist Hospital in collaboration with MoH and MSF staffs using MSF guidelines.
- Maintain and follow the IPC Protocol and ensure that Universal precautions are followed by all nutrition team
- Support education and counselling of patients and families on nutritional issues, either individually or in groups
- Ensure that mothers are well informed about the functioning of the centre, the state and evolution of their children as well as the caretaker roles during hospitalisation (help with cleaning, Feeding their child, etc)
- Be flexible to assigned tasks and responsibilities from the line managers.
- Supervise nutrition assessments of patients on admission and manage patients’ nutritional and health needs according to the treatment Protocol.
- Ensures that the patients receive the proper management as per their prescriptions (treatment, nutrition support, re-hydration, hygiene etc.).
- Participate in daily ward rounds for patient assessments together with the MDs and assist in the making of patient management plans and supervision of its implementation.
- Build the capacity of the nutrition team through training, on-the-job coaching, support, and supervision.
Data Management and reporting:
- In collaboration with the medical data supervisor, ensure timely collection and accurate entry of patient data while ensuring completeness and reporting of any discrepancies to the NAM.
- Prepare monthly medical report (MMR) according to the epi calendar and submit to the NAM/MTL within the timeline.
- Participate in the mortality review meetings and ensure timely mortality data reporting.
- Ensure medical incidence reports are prepared and submitted promptly.
- Participate in the Project medical and department meetings to review patient care
- Ensure timely daily, weekly, and monthly updates on patients’ data, including mortality.
- Participate in data review meetings, presentations, and preparation for the annual plan and Mid-year review.
Human Resource Management:
- Daily management of the nursing and nutrition assistants
- Defines the need for training and ensures staff participation in training organized by different departments.
- Supervises kitchen staff, ensuring their presence and leave if applicable.
- Periodically evaluate the performance of the MSF nutrition assistants’ and MoH-incentivised nutrition team
Pharmacy and Medical Equipment Management
- Supervises and efficiently manages ITFC pharmaceutical and medical equipment.
- Ensure that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained.
- Ensure cleaning and user maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Places daily 24-hour drug orders and follow-up of the stock, checks daily back-up cupboard and places stock request if necessary, checks storage conditions, takes inventories, organizes follow-up of drug consumption.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Nurse qualification. Desirable with a nutritionist diploma
- Minimum of 2-year experience as nutrition nurse.
- Essential, mission language and local language
- Results, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment and Stress management.
NGN443,000.00 / month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Submit your CV, Cover Letter, licenses and necessary credentials only to: [email protected] using “Nutrition Supervisor” as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline 24th January, 2023 (5:00 PM).
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
- No Transportation and Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Nutrition Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.