Salient Humanitarian Organisation is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer (For NHF Project)
Location: (Maiduguri Base) North East Nigeria
Starting Date: January, 2022
Duration of Contract: 6 Months (Extendable)
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
- Responsible for the day to day management of Nutrition activities in the wet-feeding program.
- Implement and supervise the wet feeding of the refugees.
- Ensure the wet Feeding Program activities are implemented successfully.
- Conduct stock monitoring of various commodities.
- Train and mentor field staff/cooks and cleaners through identification of capacity gaps and carrying out refresher training and on the job training on general food distribution and standard general ration during the regular food distribution.
- Ensure that all wet-feeding activities are consistent with established best practices according to the standardized protocols, policies and guidelines outlined by the Food Security Sector.
- Conduct regular supportive supervision to all supported health facilities and catchment communities, provide mentoring and technical support and appropriate feedback as needed.
- Work with the FSS team to ensure the appropriate use of all programme resources under his/her care.
- Ensure a good working relationship with all stakeholders involved in the SHO wet-feeding service provision in Ngala, Damasak, Gwoza, Dikwa, Bama and Banki.
- Ensuring that the nutritional needs of infants, young children, pregnant/lactating women and older persons are identified through screening and referred to Nutritional actors.
- Working closely with the Project Coordinator and other project teams; support in the identification, recruitment and supervision of the activities of Community volunteers.
- Conducts trainings to build the capacity of community volunteers and the community at large
- Provide technical support to SHO staff and other humanitarian actors as necessary to promote consistent good practice
- Ensure sound and timely data collection based on the existent database systems for ongoing monitoring of FSS project activities
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A University Degree in Medicine, Nursing, Dietetics, Nutrition or relevant fields.
- Minimum of two years experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and distribution programming experience, and/or feeding programs.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with vulnerable or IDP operation.
- Experience of working with Non-Governmental organizations.
- Ability to communicate in Hausa and other local languages is a must.
- Willingness and ability to work full time in the field directly with communities (camp setting and communities in Ngala, Dikwa, Damasak, Gwoza, Bama and Banki areas).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of nutritional surveillance and information systems
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach local staff and community workers
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on nutrition including.
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a nutrition representative of SHO in the working area
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Able to check the validity of information, logical thinking.
- Understanding and capacity of integration into the local environment
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please submit their Application (Letter of motivation and CV in a single PDF file) via E-mail to: [email protected] using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the e-mail.
Submit hard copies to:
Salient Humanitarian Organization,
Behind NTA Quarters,
Off Damboa Road, Old GRA,
Maiduguri – Borno State.
- All applicants must send their Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than five pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and telephone number) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
- CV-only applications will not be considered.
- SHO considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- Please clearly indicate the Job position on the envelope.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, SHO will only inform shortlisted candidates for written test and oral interview.
- SHO reserve the right to close the application before the deadline, if the required number of candidates is attained.
- Candidates will be responsible for his/her own travel, accommodation and feeding during the recruitment process;
Application Deadline 13th January, 2022.