Nutrition Assistant at Damnaish Human Capacity Building Initiative (DHCBI)
Damnaish Human Capacity Building Initiative (DHCBI) is a Humanitarian Non-Governmental Organization, founded in 2014 and incorporated with the Nigerian Government (Corporate Affairs Commission) in 2015 (CAC/IT/No 83231) to provide humanitarian assistance, in terms of emergency and Capacity building, social development and empowerment to eradication poverty and the fear of want. It has since its inception, been strategizing, collaborating, and interfacing with relevant stakeholders toward enhancing the individual’s ability to break free from poverty or bounce back in times of crisis.
Our society has over the years been bedeviled by insecurity, poverty, illiteracy, disease, hunger, malnutrition, lack of access to clean, water bad sanitation, human rights abuses environmental degradation as well a lack of economic opportunities, making it possible for the humanitarian crisis to thrive. DHCBI, therefore, has tailored its humanitarian services to building or restoring the capacity of individuals and communities towards rapid and quick recovery by supporting livelihoods and sustainable basic services through some articulated programs.
We are recruiting a qualified personnel to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Location: Damboa / Askira Uba – Borno
Slot: 3 Openings
Job type: Contract
Contract Duration: 10 Months
Working Condition: 100% Field Location
General Description and Job Brief
- The role of the Nutrition Assistant is to provide support to the Nutrition Officer in the Project’s Communities in implementing nutrition interventions.
- The assistant shall be responsible for providing health education talks, and screening to children, women and their partners in the health facility and in the community on nutrition-related issues.
- DHCBI will be implementing curative and preventive nutrition interventions in Damboa and Askira/Uba LGAs.
- The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months will be referred to stabilization centres.
- In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months will be trained on how to measure MUAC.
- If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM they will be re-assessed by the community volunteers and if confirmed, the child will be referred to the OTP.
- The nutrition Assistant will supervise a team of Community volunteers to ensure that they undertake their duties as agreed.
- Supporting targeting of beneficiaries; formation and establishment of Care groups; selection of community volunteers and members of community structures.
- Collaboratively work with the Nutrition Officer and other members of the project team to ensure that consistently high-quality services are delivered to beneficiaries in a timely manner.
- Collect Community volunteers' reports on a monthly basis, review the reports and ensure the information presented is accurate and complete.
- Prepare a timely monthly report.
- Collect reports from community volunteers on Family MUAC, review the report and identify refresher training need for Lead Mothers/ Mothers.
- Ensure that the families of malnourished children receive appropriate counselling and education concerning nutrition.
- Ensure the observance of respect and dignity of beneficiaries and caregivers.
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Officer, Plan weekly / monthly activities, liaising closely with the IGA and GFD teams to ensure timely delivery of needed materials.
- Provide a daily and weekly CMAM report to the nutrition officer.
- Work closely with community volunteers and lead mothers to ensure all aspects of the program are understood and agreed upon and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to health facilities.
- Identify the training needs of the Community volunteers and liaise with the Nutrition Officer and FSL Manager to administer such training.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the FSL Coordinator and/or Manager.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within DHCBI and amongst beneficiaries.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout DHCBI. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of WFP and DHCBI and donor compliance and ethics standards as well as adhering to those standards. Conduct work with the highest level of integrity.
- Degree / Diploma in Human / Food Nutrition, Community Health, or Nursing from a recognized University – A master's degree is an asset.
- Experience in nutrition work and implementation of CMAM programming, including monitoring and evaluation skills, with NGOs.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Capacity and willingness to base at DHCBI field locations.
- Strong report-writing skills
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action, and to DHCBI’s mission, values and policies
- Knowledge and experience with community outreach and mobilization.
- Positive and professional attitude, including the ability to lead and work well in a team setting.
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, coordinate multiple tasks, and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Experience of and commitment to utilizing participatory approaches.
- Experience in nutrition assessments and understanding of nutritional surveillance and information systems.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach local staff and community workers.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with all beneficiaries.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and local languages.
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, and working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Good understanding and knowledge in the application of do-no-harm, conflict sensitivity principles and DHCBI standards and ethics for protection work.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, and children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, race, colour, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline 13th March, 2023.
- DHCBI do not solicit fee from interested jobseekers. Please note that DHCBI will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- DHCBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DHCBI considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, colour, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Nutrition Assistant at Damnaish Human Capacity Building Initiative (DHCBI)
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.