Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Library Assistant
Requisition ID: 990
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Job grade: GSA5
Contract type: Regular
Directorate: Registry of the Court
Reports to: Librarian – Legal Division
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Purpose of Job
- Assist the Librarian in the provision of library services.
- Assist in processing library information materials, including cataloguing, classification, indexing.
- Conducting information searching and retrieval for library clients.
- Library reference services
- Working closely with the librarian to search, identify and select materials in all formats for possible purchase and integration into the library’s collection.
- Assisting in the audio-visual and serials services of the library;
- Maintenance of library catalogues
- Circulation duties of the library.
- Assisting in library events such as Library weeks,
- General ergonomics and shelving of library items
- Assist in the preparation of current awareness services and selective dissemination activities such as bibliographies and general information services to users;
- Assist in library training and user education programmes
- Conduct various library surveys,
- Perform any other duties as required.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education and a Diploma in Library and Information Studies or Information Sciences or related disciplines or an equivalent.
- A higher qualification in the requested field will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
- A grasp of modern library systems and practices
- Knowledge of standard library organization systems especially Library of Congress Classification system, MARC and Resource Description and Access (RDA) protocols.
- Literacy in modern computer applications especially use of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation and conferencing programs.
- Knowledge of the African human rights system;
- Knowledge of international organizations and their functions;
- Knowledge of AU policies, systems and standards
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages. Good knowledge of at least one other language will be an added advantage.
- Good communication skills and respect for confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment and under minimum supervision;
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The African Court is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$1,401.12 per month), education allowance (100% of the school fees up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four (4) children of up to 21 years maximum),spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary, child Allowance (US$ 250 per annum per child up to four (4) children aged 21years maximum, etc. in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Candidates who previously applied for this position are encouraged to reapply through the aforementioned website
Application Deadline 28th March, 2022.