Laboratory Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Employment Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Define, implement and follow up all laboratory activities in the project area, according to MSF protocols; ensure the proper implementation of protocols and the quality of the laboratory work, and manage staff involved in laboratory activities.
- Participate in defining and updating the activities to be undertaken within the laboratory, and assist in medical diagnosis and eradication of diseases of the patients, in particular:
- Participate in the definition and update of budgets.
- Ensuring compliance with the basic plans of the laboratory.
- Ensure that all laboratory tests (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology) are made according to prescriptions.
- Ensures that the serological and compatibility tests are performed correctly and that donors are identified before all blood transfusions.
- Perform quality control tests and analysis.
- Supervises laboratory activities in health facilities.
- Ensure quality of the analysis performed
- Ensure compliance of hygiene and safety protocols both for individual as well as for collective protection are implemented in laboratories, making sure that cleaning personnel is informed about biohazards.: This includes
- Ensure that all laboratory staff uses required clothes and equipment according to protocols, i.e. protective glasses, white coat, etc.
- Is responsible for hygiene and universal precautions in laboratories according to protocols and in cooperation with logistics department.
- Ensure proper registration and records of all lab related activities, implementing a correct use of the associated management (EpyTryp. Etc.) to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Prepares and sends slides/samples for external quality control.
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the laboratory staff of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and improve people’s capabilities.
- Check and ensure maintenance of the equipment under his/her responsibility they can be used at any time, in particular:
- Ensure that the automatic instrument calibrations are performed correctly.
- Ensure that the inventory of laboratory equipment is done correctly to avoid stock-outs.
- Ensures that inventories of all material and equipment used exist and are updated.
- Compile, analyze and report on lab activities and results to the medical staff and the immediate supervisor providing data on complications, the total number and types of tests and in general any problem with the staff and / or laboratory material. Also participates in the development of epidemiological reports relating to MSF health services.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Monitor laboratory activities in the mission and field following projects context.
- Coordinate the implementation of internal and external Quality Control for the Laboratory in the mission.
- Monitor laboratory quality through the quality control (QC) process by analyzing QC results and providing feedback for corrective measures where applicable.
- Active role in field research activities where applicable.
- Maintain active and timely information and communication for lab-related issues.
- Focal point for lab-related questions from the field when needed with feedback from Medco and Lab advisor.
- Represents MSF towards local health authorities and MoH counterparts.
- Participate in overall project planning (Lab-related), implementation, and evaluation.
- Support the strategy of blood bank management to ensure sufficient blood supply in the lab to enhance continuous availability of blood for transfusion.
- Support with decentralization of lab tests in outreach and or where medical activities are carried out with laboratory component. Support ITFC component with lab related investigations.
- Train and support the field-laboratory staff on keeping the laboratory equipment in good condition by enforcing all Biomed protocols where required.
- Fully participate in International Medical Order.
- Participate with the medical team in the development of new laboratory activities & techniques, in discussion with Medco and Lab advisor.
- Support MTL in the recruitment of new laboratory national staff.
- Take part in surveillance and response to outbreak investigations and assessments, according to need.
- With the help of the lab advisor, carry out external laboratory assessment in case of sample referral.
- Define, implement and follow up all laboratory activities related to microbiology in the project area, according to MSF protocols; ensure the proper implementation of protocols and the quality of the laboratory work, with the staff involved in laboratory activities.
- Work closely with antibiotic stewardship team (doctor and IPC manager).
- Support in the estimation of the number of HR needed based on the activities and workload, recruitment, staff review, work schedules, and activities.
- Actively participate in the AMR committee and provide input in the diagnostic and surveillance.
- Train the medical team (physicians and nurses) on sample choice and the quality of the test requested.
- Support the training of physicians, nurses, and lab staff in sample collection for blood culture, CSF, and urine for microbiological studies.
- Train implement and apply the rejection criteria for non-conformity samples.
- Supervise and train the medical and lab staff in the standard documentation for each step, from collection to the sample reception at the lab, including collection form, reception sheet, logbook, and bench sheet.
- Support safe and timely delivery of samples to microbiology lab in Sokoto.
- Train and supervise the staff in culture media preparation as per MSF standards.
- Train and supervise the lab staff in the recognition of the different organisms using Gram staining.
- Train the lab staff in the best selection of media for subculture pathogen as per MSF standards.
- Ensure that all steps are recorded in the bench sheet
- Ensure proper workflow for microbiology
- Help troubleshoot problems with sample collection
- Guide the team on the interpretation of the expert rules set by EUCAST and update the WHONET database following new expert rules.
- When required, ensure isolates are properly saved.
- To follow up the policy for documentation, archiving, and patient confidentiality from MSF.
- Write the monthly reporting for Microbiology
- To monitor the contamination rate and adapt the training on proper sample collection.
- Data collection in WHONET – does it and trains others on it.
- Ensure all the results are entered in WHONET and the results are shared with the medical team in a timely matter.
- Establish a well-structured laboratory supply management system with the logistics team by liaising and maintaining good working relations with the managerial and logistic teams at capital and project levels (Project Coordinators, Supply Logistician, and Mission pharmacist).
- In close collaboration with project Laboratory supervisor responsible for adequate management of Lab stocks.
- In close collaboration with Medco and Project teams, participate in International Lab orders.
- Ensures the provision of quality laboratory services.
- Ensure compliance with the MSF-OCA quality control procedures/protocols and provide Corrective action if QC was unacceptable.
- Monitor adequate quality of media, identification testing, antibiograms, and other consumables required for QC performance.
- Ensure that all equipment is functioning adequately and receive regular scheduled servicing
- Understands support the performance of quality control procedures of special tests that are referred to external reference laboratories.
- In collaboration with infection control officer and national authorities ensures high bio safety standards in all sites.
- Work with Mission Biomed and Technical logistic team to install laboratory equipment and working area based on MSF standard layout and the available space
- Develop a routine equipment maintenance schedule.
- Implement waste management processes and procedures related to microbiological agents and temperature monitoring of thermally controlled equipment.
- Perform with the help of the laboratory advisor monthly/annual data analysis and reporting of all laboratory processes including Microbiology.
- With the support of the Lab advisor, perform resistance profile/cluster alert for the identification of outbreak for microbiology.
- Ensures high quality of laboratory results and timely delivery to referring physician.
- Participate along with the rest of the Medical teams in MMRs, PC sitreps, project progress reports, etc.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Laboratory technician diploma essential, specialization or training in tropical diseases or other laboratory domains desirable.
- Medical Microbiologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist with at least 2 years of working experience
- At least 2 year experience as a lab tech. Desirable previous working experience with MSF or other NGOs. Experience in developing countries also desirable. Laboratory experience in microbiology in all aspects: sample collection, bacterial isolation, identification, and drug susceptibility. Experience in supervising, managing, and training health staff.
- English essential.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet) and all other basic office software (required). Knowledge on WHONET data entry and analysis, use of DHIS2 (will be considered an asset).
- People Management, Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioral Flexibility, Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Leadership.
- Data Management, Person/material hygiene, Infection Control, Pharmacy, Stock, Lab, Bio Med.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd January, 2023 (5:00pm).
After filling the form, submit your CV, Cover letter and necessary credentials only to this email: [email protected] with “Finco Assistant” the subject of the mail
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
Thank you for viewing: Laboratory Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.