Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist – Social Media
Job Reference: BBC/TP/2269572/60431
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: 6 month Fixed Term Contract
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key Responsibilitues and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio anddigital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
The Ideal Candidate
- The successful candidate will be a fluent Hausa speaker and writer, with a very good level of English.
- A keen interest in current affairs and digital market developments in Nigeria and other West African countries is essential.
- An excellent working knowledge of social media platforms is required, together with experience of practical newsgathering.
- You will have a good knowledge of social media optimization, analytics and newsgathering tools. A strong editorial and production background is also important.
- This role is based in Abuja but requires traveling to other locations.
- The selected person will be required to work closely with the BBC digital teams in Abuja, Lagos and Nairobi.
- The candidate must be a team player and should be ready to adjust to the requirements of field news reporting if and when required.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 6th May, 2022.