The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist, Gist
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/61643
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 Africa
Contract: Attachment / Fixed Term contract ending 31st December 2022
Gist Nigeria is BBC Africa’s pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation. Gist Nigeria offers in-depth reporting, focusing on the stories behind the news, its impact and how it affects the audience. It features analysis, studio discussions and hard-hitting interviews around the key issues that matter to Nigerians and West Africa. The programme also features stories covered by a selection of the BBC’s African services. We have an opportunity for a Journalist to join the programme based in Lagos.
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. Researchers,
- Coordinators and Assistants.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th June, 2022.
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.