Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter / Translator – Portuguese
Requisition ID: 1042
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Job grade: P4
Contract type: Regular
Number of Indirect Reports: 01
Directorate: Registry of the Court
Reports to: Deputy Registrar of the Court
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Organization: African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Purpose of Job
- The African Court was established by virtue of Article 1 of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, adopted on 9 June 1998 and came into force on 25 January 2004.
- It is the first continental judicial body charged with the responsibility of ensuring the protection of human and peoples’ rights. The Court became operational in 2006 and its seat is in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
- Be responsible for the Interpretation at sessions and meetings of the Court as well as for translation of the documents of the Court from English or French into Portuguese.
- Under the overall supervision of the Registrar of the Court, and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Registrar, the Interpreter/Translator – Portuguese will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide proper, clear, faithful interpretation from English or French into Portuguese during sessions and meetings of the Court using the standard, clear and accurate language;
- Translate properly documents, primarily from English language or French language into Portuguese, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy, and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology;
- To do this work, the Interpreter/Translator (Portuguese) shall:
- Check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding and use of AU technical terminologies;
- Consult colleagues, authors of texts, and specialized technical dictionaries/ glossaries, data banks
- Keep abreast with developments in the language field, both in the source and target languages, by compiling and regularly up-dating specific terminologies, phrases, lexicons, acronyms and special expressions in order to widen the stock of vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability;
- Help develop terminology/lexicons of the AU;
- Provide consecutive interpretation, when required, during audiences and of statements at conferences, meetings, discussions, etc;
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
Applicants must have:
- University Degree in Languages, Humanities or related discipline
- A professional qualification from a recognized interpreters/translators school.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of progressively relevant experience in interpretation and translation.
- Experience in working with legal documents is highly desirable.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrate leadership abilities and professionalism
- Concentration, accuracy, and working under minimum supervision
- Respect for confidentiality and good public relations;
- Excellent knowledge of international organizations;
- Computer literacy, including formatting of documents.
- Excellent command of the Portuguese and English languages or French language. Knowledge of any of the other AU languages will be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment;
- Mastery of Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tools (TRADOS)
- Good communication and planning skills
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The African Court is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$42,879.00 per annum (grade P4, step 1) plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (1,860.00 US$ per month), education allowance (100% of school fees up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four children aged 21 years maximum), spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary), child allowance (US$250 per annum per child up to four children aged 21 years maximum), etc in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Candidates who previously applied for this position are encouraged to re-apply through the aforementioned website
Application Deadline 28th March, 2022.