United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Information Management Officer (Data, Analytics and Evidence), NOB, TA
Job No: 547636
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
For Every Child, an Advocate
- Nigeria Country Office is one of the largest operations of UNICEF and the largest in West and Central African Region. The country programming is complex as it has development programming, with major disparities between the North and the South, North being relatively deprived and poor, while majority of the population is concentrated in the North.
- The country is further challenged with ethnic and religious divide coupled with governance issues particularly financial management. The Country also manages extreme humanitarian crisis and instability in the North East primarily due to religion-based terrorism.
- This position contributes to evidence-based planning, improved program monitoring and analytics for enhanced quality assurance and accountability, and enhanced monitoring of changes in bottlenecks affecting the supply, demand, coverage, and quality of key nutrition programs.
- The staff member will support programmes across North West of Nigeria, under the overall supervision of the Nutrition Manager based in Kano Field Office, and in strong engagement and collaboration with Sokoto Field Office to achieve the outputs and activities underlined in the current 2018-2022 and the upcoming 2023-2027 country programme under development.
- The North West staff member will be based in Kano, with frequent travel to Sokoto and work in close collaboration with Abuja’s Nutrition Section Information Management Officer (Data, Analytics and Evidence) and will ensure close collaboration with the government counterparts and programme sector partners at state levels to strengthen data systems across the data value chain.
How Can You Make a Difference?
- The North West Data, Analytics and Evidence Officer will report to the Nutrition Manager based in Kano Field Office. As an expert s/he will collaborate with North West Field Offices and the government to strengthen Nutrition Information System, provide support to the field teams and state partners for monitoring, evaluation, and supportive supervision, to ensure effectiveness and efficiency in nutrition programme.
- The officer will be required to generate appropriate analytics to strengthen policies, guidelines/ protocol and programmes for use within UNICEF, the UN, Implementing and Development Partners. The current position is for a duration of 12 months.
- The incumbent will be responsible for designing quality nutrition data collection methodologies, surveys, polling, KAPs, Peer Data Quality Reviews, including both qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- S/he will initiate, update and or maintain nutrition databases, while using a range of data platforms such as ODK platform, RapidPro, other monitoring tools and smart phone inventory for programme monitoring and supportive supervision. Further, the incumbent will be responsible for knowledge generation and development of the program appropriate products.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Data Systems Strengthening & Information Management:
- Provide leadership on strengthening nutrition data systems (routine, surveys, and surveillance) at sub-national levels and in close collaboration with national partners, including enabling interoperability and digitization of data platforms
- Strengthen existing in-country data approaches and platforms for collecting, analyzing, and reporting high quality nutrition data at national and sub-national levels, particularly coverage data.
- Maintain information databases and general project tools and consolidate, analyse and report/disseminate data collected throughout various assessments
- Regularly update and maintain contact list of all nutrition partners and working groups.
- Provide support in planning and executing data collection activities, including reviewing documents, preparing survey protocols and adopting standardized approaches and tools for nutrition/Cash Based Transfer (CBT) programming.
- Provide analytics, assess trends and measure outcomes relating to achievement of project targets to support evidence-based programming.
- As and when needed, coordinate and plan for meetings, develop agendas, document minutes and share action points with all relevant persons.
- Compile, clean and analyse nutrition/CBT data including Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), Vitamin A supplementation, Maternal, Infant and Young Child Feeding Nutrition, Micronutrients etc.
- Manage relevant nutrition data sets, including humanitarian and development data sets. Coordinate and harmonize data with relevant cluster stakeholders.
- Work with both Kano and Sokoto field offices to have a well-prioritized plan of information management activities.
- For North West, co-ordinate with other sections to ensure data coherence.
- Prepare SitReps, identify information gaps geographically and programmatically whilst also ensuring regular programme pipeline analysis.
Project Performance Monitoring, Reporting & Evidence Generation:
- Support complete, quality and timely reporting based on agreed monitoring frameworks.
- Generate high quality reports and knowledge products including presentations, publications, newsletters, etc.
- Support the preparation of quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports and newsletters and share findings with stakeholders for informed decision making
- Conduct field visits to programme target areas to monitor the quality of data collection and reporting and provide supportive supervision as and when needed.
- Provide support for evaluation and documentation.
- Support resource mobilization activities for the nutrition in North West.
- Present information in understandable, effective and visually appealing tables, charts, graphs, maps, visuals and reports (such as snapshots, dashboards, gap analysis, etc.).
- Consolidate data and draft relevant inputs for the progress and final reports for all nutrition reports and other UNICEF reports (mid-year and end-year activity monitoring, strategic monitoring questionnaires etc.).
- Provide any other relevant support as requested by the Nutrition Manager.
To Qualify as an Advocate For Every Child You Will Have
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Statistics, Development Planning, Nutrition, Public Health, Agricultural Sciences, Epidemiology.
- Additional technical qualifications (supported with certificates) in geographic information system, information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Statistics, Survey, data management or related field is required.
- More than five years of relevant professional work experience including field work. Experience in nutrition data management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Proven statistical, analytic and technical skills including designing and administrating databases, database management and data analysis using statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, etc.), high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), ability to maintain basic websites, ability to produce data summaries and visualizations, GIS knowledge an advantage.
- Experience with digital data platforms and District Health Information Systems-2 (DHIS-2) platforms, Standardized Monitoring and Assessment of Relief and Transitions (SMART) surveys, Multi Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS) and nutrition analysis including Integrated Food Security Phase Classification Acute Malnutrition (IPC AMN).
- Experience of working in emergency and humanitarian contexts is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of local languages and any other official UN language is considered as an asset.
For Every Child, You Demonstrate
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness
- Works Collaboratively with others
- Thinks and Acts Strategically
- Drive to achieve impactful results
- Manages ambiguity and complexity.
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships
- Innovates and Embraces Change
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
Application Deadline 25th January, 2022.