The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health, Safety and Security Officer (Roving), Area North
Job Identification: 3638
Locations: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Health, Safety and Security
Job Schedule: Full time
- The HSS Officer will have technical skills and experience in humanitarian security risk management which will support the implementation of NRC programs in Borno State. The main task will be achieved through implementing HSS SOPs, HERP and MEP for the Area North Field Offices. Besides this, the Officer will create a web of networks with relevant safety and security actors/stakeholders in the different field offices with the aim of enabling humanitarian access, coordination and collaboration.
- The HSS Officer will play an integral part in ensuring that there is compliance to NRC MOSS and MOISS standards, and that staff undergo the mandatory training.
- The roving officer will report directly to the Area North HSS Coordinator and will receive technical guidance, support and capacity building from the Country HSS Manager. The position is a core member Field Incident Response Team and will participate in field office level meetings. The Officer will work closely with the respective Field Coordinators to ensure that there is a common understanding of the NRC HSS policies.
Role and Responsibilities
The purpose of the HSS officer is to provide support for the day to day security operations in the Field Offices to ensure the proper safety and security coverage is provided to all staff, visitors and consultants in Area North Offices. These include;
- Implement NRC’s HSS Policies and guidelines in Area North Field Offices.
- Conduct regular assessments of NRC Area North Field offices, Guest Houses in order to implement mitigation measures guided by the MOISS standards.
- Conduct HSS Briefing and Induction to all staff, new hired and visitors to Area North Field Offices. Keep records of all briefings conducted in the field offices following the informed consent guideline.
- In Collaboration with the HSS Coordinator, he/she will support in conducting mandatory HSS training to NRC staff deployed in Area North Office.
- Work closely with HSS-CMC to ensure that all staff travelling to and those based in the Field Offices are tracked and reported accordingly. This will also include that all required communication and tracking equipment are available and in good working condition.
- Liaison with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors in the field offices area for the purposes of information sharing and collaboration.
- Collate and prepare a weekly security report submitted to AM and HSSM.
- Work closely with Humanitarian Access Coordinator to report, track and monitor access challenges, enablers and constraints.
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator to ensure effective supervision of contracted security guards deployed to the field offices.
- Ensure that all incidents impacting NRC staff, assets and programs in the Field Offices are reported and documented in NRC Protect Platform.
- Give regular daily context updates to the Field Coordinators and Area Manager before the commencement of field activities.
- Ensure that access control procedures to the field Office/Guest House are in place and adequately enforced by the security guards.
- Support Logistic Team to conduct safety assessment of vehicles rented for use by NRC in the Field Offices.
- Ensure that all communication equipment (Satellite phones, GPS trackers, CCTVs) are in good working condition and available for use by staff in the Field Offices.
- Implement occupational health and safety procedures and mitigation measures in the field office area.
- Together with the Field Coordinators, Conduct daily staff headcount and report to HSS CMC
- Is a member of the COVID – 19 Field Office Committee and works with the Field Coordinators to implement COVID – 19 prevention measures in NRC office.
- Liaison with different stakeholders and support the Field Coordinators in organizing meetings when required.
- University or Advanced Degree in Social Studies, Administration, Security Management, Humanitarian/Refugee Affairs, and Disaster Risk Management. HND in a relevant similar field will be considered.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacities to negotiate with different stakeholders
- Strong Report-writing ability and security incident analysis. This will include conflict analysis and research capabilities.
- Previous work experience and service in the uniformed forces (military, police, Prisons, NSCDC, etc) is a desired advantage. A certificate of good service discharge will be required.
- Basic and advanced computer skills are mandatory ( MS Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook).
- Working skills of communication equipment (VHF Radio, Satellite Phones, GPS tracker, CCTV).
- Basic web-based mapping knowledge or GIS.
- 1 to 3 years of working experience within a similar function in safety and security management with INGOs, the UN, or government or private sector.
- Previous experience from working in complex and emergency contexts, particularly in North-East Nigeria is desired.
Context Related Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Understanding and respect for humanitarian work, particularly relating to refugee and displacement issues.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Understanding of local language is mandatory (Hausa, Kanuri, Fulani etc).
- The ability to travel regularly to the field independently is essential.
- Flexibility to work outside standard working hours.
- Knowledge of the conflict situation in Borno and Northeast Nigeria.
- Indigene/Resident of Borno State is an added advantage and desired.
- Ability to work under stress and in high-risk contexts areas.
- Organized and able to multi-task
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Willingness to do other tasks as required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th November, 2021 at 08:20 PM