Government Liaison Coordinator at iMMAP Nigeria
iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Government Liaison Coordinator – Nigeria INGO Forum
Employment Type: Full Time
- The INGO Forum in Nigeria was formed in late 2014 to develop a collaborative platform for effective and principled INGO interaction, engagement and coordination for humanitarian, recovery and development interventions in Nigeria.
- Since inception, the INGO Forum has become a critical platform for ensuring effective information sharing and analysis; leadership on advocacy and policy engagement; and liaison with government/donor/UN engagement and engagement ensuring the perspectives of INGOs and affected populations are ultimately included in decision-making processes.
- The INGO Forum is governed by a core membership of 54 members (and 7 observers) with new member applications pending approval on a regular basis,
- The INGO Forum is governed by an elected Steering Committee of five Country Directors and a Chair that works alongside a full term Secretariat.
- Since November 2020, the INGO Forum is administratively hosted by iMMAP in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja as well as Maiduguri.
Description of Duties
- The purpose of the Government Liaison Coordinator position is to promote efforts in humanitarian access and coordination through engagement with government agencies and relevant stakeholders to improve the enabling operational environment of INGOs in Nigeria.
- Ensure adherence with IMMAP policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated NIF project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management. Summarize key documents (reports, assessments, etc) and share with partners in easily read format.
- Develop communication and information products to support NGO operations and engagement in broader Forum activities and to be regularly informed about the Nigeria context.
- Support locally driven evidence/ data collection to support Forum advocacy and representation on priority issues this includes media and issue monitoring, context analysis, and drafting short briefs. Works closely with the Policy Adviser on issues related to national engagement and advocacy.
- Work with INGO Forum Secretariat Team to ensure induction of members on Forum work priorities, coordination architecture and other engagement.
- Support logistics and administration around trainings, meetings and other events as required.
- Support internal donor reporting requirements as required by the grant manager and ensuring timely submission of reports.
- Provide back-office support to the INGO Forum when required.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Support the implementation of strategic and operational priorities with a focus on ensuring local perspectives inform the Forum’s work.
- Strengthen coordination between humanitarian, recovery, peace and development actors at Federal and sub national levels to allow the Forum to respond to member priorities, issues and opportunities for engagement.
- Lead the Forum’s engagement and activities around the Humanitarian Development Nexus conversations and New Way of Working at all levels.
- Identify opportunities for effective engagement with national and local stakeholders including NNGOs and LNGOs.
- Identify and lead (when appropriate) engagement initiatives for the membership through mobilising members and through the production of joint influencing products.
- Promote Forum member and partner linkages at the global, regional and national levels with national civil society on potential policy and capacity building activities.
- Participate in key humanitarian and development planning events and processes ensuring NGO inputs this includes the HRP, UNDAF, World Bank etc upon request from the forum director.
- Develop and update guidelines for Forum membership on key bureaucratic challenges.
- Support development and/ or dissemination of tools, guidelines, best practice and standards in humanitarian and development work to NGOs members and other stakeholders to enhance interventions in Nigeria.
- Work with the Director to strengthen engagement with Government entities e.g. MBNP, FMHDSD, NIS, Nigerian Customs, NHCTWG, ONSA, NEMA, SEMA and other Nigerian government structures as needed, including security agencies.
- Identify developments in the policy and political space which impact the Forum’s membership and priorities and advise on Forum’s engagement as appropriate.
- Coordinate and monitor Government’s engagement messages and initiatives to ensure impact and that NIF external Engagement is in line with good humanitarian and development principles.
- Work closely with the Policy Adviser on issues related to national engagement and advocacy.
- Support Government Liaison Adviser and Northwest Coordinator on government policy issues.
- Ensuring sufficient capacity and knowledge to support policy analysis and strategic planning around the humanitarian architecture and operational issues.
- Work with the program officer in following up action plans related to government engagement challenges from INGO Forum working groups and technical groups.
- Supports the director on implementing key training and capacity support opportunities to enhance NGO engagement and performance in Nigeria.
By interfaces, IMMAP means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Internal: NIF Team, Host agency Operations, Security, Programmes,
- External: Nigerian Federal Institutions and Ministries, Nigerian Armed Forces, Nigerian Security Agencies, UN Agencies, INGOs, Civil society, government bodies.
Context / Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Candidates should possess a University Degree in Conflict and Development, International Relations, International Humanitarian Law or related technical fields
- Knowledge of the humanitarian coordination system and the mandates of the actors involved.
- Good understanding of the security environment and economic, socio-political dynamics in North East Nigeria, the Lake Chad Basin and Sahel region in general
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Strong data analytical and interpretation skills.
- Commitment to international humanitarian standards and principles.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in humanitarian setting.
- Experience working for a humanitarian coordination body.
- Strong capacities to develop relationships with Nigerian government counterparts that can yield positive results.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 6th June, 2023.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Government Liaison Coordinator at iMMAP Nigeria
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria