The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gate Keeper
Job Identification: 4275
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Health, Safety and Security
Reports to: CMC Team Leader
Supervision of: Nil
Technical Supervision: HSS Officer
Duration and type of contract: End of December 2022 (possibility of extension)
Background of the Positon
- Gatekeepers play a crucial role in the security risk management function in NRC Country Office.
- They are an integral part of the protection and deterrence strategy of risk management by acting as the eye’ and barrier to deter, delay, distinguish, and detect threats that might impact NRC staff, assets, facilities and image in order to trigger an appropriate reaction.
- The Gatekeeper should possess the highest levels of integrity, alertness, self-discipline among other qualities.
- The Gatekeeper will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State and will report directly to the HSS Officer in Maiduguri.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the main gate to the NRC facility is locked at all times. Gate will only be opened when granting access to staff, visitors or vehicles in/out of the facility.
- To enforce access control procedures SOP at all-time/round the clock 24/7 within the NRC facility.
- Ensure no NRC asset or property is removed from the facility without proper documentation or approvals. Gate pass or assets removal forms will be checked where applicable.
- To patrol and protect assigned NRC property, promote and enforce safety and security and act as a visible deterrent against irregular activity.
- protect NRC property and assets from theft, damage, trespassing or accidents
- To monitor and control entrance and departure of staff and visitors according to prescribed Access Control SOP.
- At the close of business, guards will patrol the office and turn off any lights that have been left on.
- Gatekeepers will ensure that all handwashing stations at the gate are filled with clean water, soap and that station is kept tidy.
- Safely keep any keys of other property that might be deposited in the guard’s room.
- Direct or guide visitors, once cleared to the respective office to the visited.
- To have a full working knowledge of the NRC facility, and position of various equipment such as fire extinguishers, alarms, exit gates, generator locations. This also includes knowing the location of various offices in order to direct visitors.
- Prepare written reports of daily activities, observations and incidents and submit them to HSS Officer
- Monitor surveillance cameras (CCTV). Respond to alarms and react in a timely manner. Any malfunction to the CCTV is reported immediately to the HSS Officer.
- Performing scheduled and random checks of designated areas throughout the facility to check for any security breaches
- The Gatekeeper will support with turning on/off the generators using timing provided by logistics or the FC/AM.
- Any faults on the generator will be reported to Logistic/FC or AM immediate.
- The Gatekeeper will only fuel the generators when expressly authorized by the Area Manager or FC in the Field Offices.
- Fulfilling any other related tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
All departments/ NRC Staff/Visitors/Beneficiaries
Scale and scope of the position:
- Staff: N/A
- Stakeholders: Security Services
- Budgets: N/A
- Information: Visitors sheet/Incident Reports/Asset Control
- Legal or compliance: N/A.
- Diploma or SSCE
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results.
- These skills, knowledge and experience are important for effective performance:
Generic professional competencies:
- Communication (oral and written) in Hausa and in English is beneficial.
- Must be honest, well-mannered and neat in appearance.
- Computer skills are an added advantage.
- To be a Nigerian citizen.
Behavioural competencies (max 6):
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job.
NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th January, 2022 by 10:56.