The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State. Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings, host communities and returnee populations.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs. Currently, the IRC is expanding programs in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe state to address the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities in recently liberated LGAs.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), in partnership with Plan International, the American University of Nigeria (AUN), Inclusive Development Partners (IDP), and Restoration of Hope Initiative (ROHI) is implementing activities under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funding for the Opportunities to Learn (OTL) activity in Nigeria. Under OTL, IRC and its consortium partners will work with students, teachers, community-based organizations, local government education authorities (LGEA) and state education authorities, and the private sector to design, implement, and scale lasting results which foster a healthier, better educated population by improving learning outcomes for Borno and Yobe’s most vulnerable children and youth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Requisition ID: req20988
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Finance Officer reports to the Director Of Finance in managing all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department assisting in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures and systems and ensuring compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
- Supporting DOF in managing all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department in field office.
- Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures and systems.
- Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
- Supervise the Finance Assistant and ensure copies of all finance documents are properly filed.
- Liaison with field office bank on all banking issues.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid on time to avoid any penalty.
- Forward to the payroll Administrator every month, an outstanding personnel advances and charges related to T7 for recovery. Ensure that advances taken in a given month are liquidated appropriately.
- Conduct occasional time sheet audits for field office.
- Assist Finance Manager with balance sheet reconciliations.
- Help in following up advances’ liquidations.
- Submit expenditure worksheets to the Finance Head Office on or before 3rd of every subsequent month.
- Review all payment documents for proper and adequate back up.
- Review expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Liaison with Logistics, Administration and Program, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
- Prepare bank reconciliation for field office by 2nd of every month.
- Manage Field Office Daily cash
- Serve as technical resource person for the accounting department.
- Review all POs and PRs for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval.
- In liaison with Procurements and Logistics to prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports
Finance / Budgeting:
- Act at all times in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
- Provide training to program staff on finance issues.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports to be reviewed by Director of Finance
- Review with the objective of gaining a clear understanding budget guideline and instructions.
- Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding.
Security / Communication:
- Communicate with Finance main office on security issues within the office and outside the office.
- Report to the Finance Officer/Finance Controller any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and sites on policy and procedures.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
- HND or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions.
- Minimum of Three (3) years of professional accounting experience.
- Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel.
- INGO Finance experience is highly desired.
- Able to work in a high-pressure situation, solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Able to independently organize work, prioritize tasks and manage time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local context language is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to coach and support others.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply