The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of ECOWAS that operates in the general interest of the regional power network system in order to ensure a reliable power supply throughout the region (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo). Today, WAPP comprises thirty-five (35) electricity companies that are public and private power generation, transmission, distribution and commercialisation entities involved in the operation of the power network system in West Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance and Administrative Assistant
Location: Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi
Type of contract: Full time, approximately 24 months
Project: WAPP North Core Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU), WAPP North Core Interconnection Project
Duty station: Local PMU Office, Birnin Kebbi
Line Manager: Contracts Engineer
- The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). It brings together 14 countries of the regional economic community.
- WAPP is made up of public and private companies involved in the production, transmission and distribution of electrical energy in West Africa.
- The 330 kV North Core project consists of the construction of a 330 kV transmission line over a length of approximately 875 km between Birnin-Kebbi in Nigeria and Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso, passing through the Niamey region in Niger. The project also links Benin, in the Malanville region, through Niger. The project is co-financed by the World Bank, the African Development Bank, the Agence Française de Développement, the European Union and the Government of Nigeria.
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to improve its coordination, the Energy Ministers of the North Core countries have agreed to set up an institutional framework that provides for the creation of a Project Management Unit (PMU) to assist, among other things, in the development and physical implementation of the project. The PMU consists of a central unit based in Abuja, Nigeria and will also have local offices in each of the countries involved in the Project.
- The Project PMU (Central Unit and Country Offices) is supported by a Consultant Engineer recruited mainly to ensure the supervision of construction works undertaken by the Contractors.
- Reporting directly to the Contracts Engineer, the Finance and Administrative Assistant will provide support in the execution of the day-to-day activities of the Unit with regard to all administrative and employee issues.
- S/he will ensure that assigned tasks are carried out effectively and efficiently and in accordance with the policy and procedure guidelines of the North Core Project.
- The incumbent will also support the Finance Department in the financial management of the local PMU and in the preparation of required financial reports, in keeping with the Project's financial reporting procedures and guidelines.
- To this end, the job holder will have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Accountant and the Administrative Officer of the central PMU.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The key duties of the Finance and Administrative Assistant include the following:
- Ensure effective implementation of administrative, financial and accounting procedures manuals;
- Support the Country Coordinator in the daily management of Project activities;
- Prepare supply and delivery vouchers for supplies and services provided;
- Coordinate the drafting of Project related correspondence;
- Ensure that all travel documents for local PMU staff are prepared promptly (mission orders, mission budgets, tickets);
- Ensure a filing and archiving system for all administrative and financial documents of the local PMU;
- Prepare minutes of meetings;
- Provide all local PMU staff with the administrative support required for the performance of their duties;
- Identify suppliers of goods and services required for the proper functioning of the local PMU;
- Initiate the selection procedure for suppliers and service providers required by the local PMU;
- Prepare Purchase Orders for signature by the Country Coordinator;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Country Coordinator.
Financial and Accounting Management:
- Support the preparation of provisional budgets for the operations of the local PMU offices to be submitted to the Country Coordinator for review and transmission to Management of the Central PMU;
- Prepare provisional cash flow plans and follow up on their implementation;
- Prepare and present for approval by the Country Project Management, cheques and funds transfer requests on operational accounts held with local banks;
- Ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls;
- Participate in the preparation of financial reports for submission and approval by Management in line with the standards and frequency required by Donors;
- Ensure that all necessary documentation is available for internal and external audits of funds managed by the local PMU;
- Ensure that general accounts of the local PMU are properly maintained;
- Follow up on the implementation of the budget and regularly report discrepancies between forecasts and actual values to the Country Coordinator;
- Justify the use of all advances received from the central PMU;
- Support the Country Coordinator in the follow up of disbursement requests;
- Ensure that all mandatory employee management records are maintained;
- Receive requests for leave of absence from staff and forward them to the appropriate authority;
- Initiate, on behalf of the Country Coordinator, the annual performance evaluation and rating of staff in order to determine whether to renew their employment contract or not;
- Ensure implementation of training plans for staff of the Projects Implementing Agencies as well as for local PMU staff;
- Maintain an attendance book and submit related reports to local PMU Management;
- Ensure that individual files of local PMU staff and Project documentation are maintained;
- Ensure the transfer of salaries of the local PMU staff;
- Ensure that stocks and equipment acquired with local PMU funds are protected and can be checked at any time;
- Ensure that all measures are taken to locate and identify equipment acquired with funds provided to the local PMU and other beneficiaries;
- Manage fuel;
- Ensure security of the premises;
- Ensure that access keys to the various offices entrusted to him are properly kept.
- Ensure the maintenance of project equipment;
- Ensure that staff use the assets judiciously;
- Draw up inventories of fixed assets according to a pre-established schedule;
- Manage fixed assets and any other consumables required for the proper functioning of the local PMU;
- Minimum of a University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management, Administration, Economics or similar disciplines;
- At least five (05) years of professional experience in administration and financial management;
- Have at least two (02) years experience in administration in line with the rules of international donors (World Bank, ADB, AFD, European Union and others);
- Demonstrate experience in electronic document archiving;
- Proficiency in relevant computer software (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, PowerPoint) and Internet usage.
- Proficiency in the use of a management software package such as TOMPRO, SAP or similar. Proficiency in TOMPRO in particular would be an asset;
- The Administrative and Financial Assistant will have to prepare end of month activity reports to be transmitted to the Country Coordination of the Project Management Unit. He/she will also contribute to the preparation of the quarterly and annual reports of the Project activities
Attributes and Skills:
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to work in a team environment and under pressure;
- Be conscientious and efficient in achieving results;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills (oral and written), ability to take initiative and demonstrate professional integrity;
- A major requirement for this position is to have a good command of English (reading, speaking and writing).
- The duration of the mission will be 24 months with a probationary period of 6 months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Kindly note that only nationals resident in the country can apply
Application Deadline 12th August, 2022 at 17:00 GMT.
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.