The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-055
Series/Grade: LE – 0105 7
Promotion Potential: LE-7
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The incumbent assists Commercial Counselor and Commercial Attaché in all secretarial-related tasks, including setting up appointments with high level officials, trade associations and other Embassies, and in keeping the Counselor’s detailed diary up to the minute.
- Prepares time and attendance for two American and local staff of nine.
- S/he is the holder of a $20,000 Department of Commerce purchase card and is responsible for all government purchase card transactions.
- Handles domestic and international travel requirements for two American officers as well as nine LE Staff members.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- College (2 years) or Post-Secondary School is required.
- Two years’ experience in office management as a secretary/administrative assistant is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent speaking/reading/writing English is required .
Skills and Abilities:
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to stay calm and tactful under pressure and constraints; and composition of non-technical correspondence and maintenance of filing system is required.
- Typing ability (40 wpm) and advanced computer skills with standard office software, including Microsoft Office and Outlook is required.
- Organizing and administrative skills.
- Ability to maintain schedules, coordinate extensive travel arrangements (including obtaining additional verifications related to security);
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office. .
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 6,455,212 ($38,056) / Annum
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript) and/or
- University Transcripts
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section 09-461-4000 [email protected]
Application Deadline 7th May, 2021.