Emergency WATSAN Officer at Solidarites International
Solidarites International is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 40 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, and Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Currently, SI carries out emergency/post – emergency programs in WASH/FSL sector in North-West Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency WATSAN Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Start date: Projected contract duration is 4 Months – with possible extension.
- The SI Nigeria Emergency Response Team (ERT), also known as RRM unit, is part of the WASH Sector/ RRM TWG, NFI/Shelter sector which responds to emergency alerts within BAY states in Northeast Nigeria. The unit is headed by the Emergency Program Manager with technical oversight links to the SI WASH Coordination unit. The ERT does not have static program presence but “roves” promptly to respond to alerts of disease outbreak, sudden displacement, flooding, or fire outbreak–either in respond to WASH Cluster or WASH Cluster member appeal –including SI. ERT staff shall therefore be able and willing to mobilize and travel instantly to remote and security sensitive locations, working within tight SI security protocols.
- Under the supervision of the Emergency TL, the Emergency Watsan officer will lead and supervise contractors and daily workers in the implementation of projects, respecting deadlines and technical specifications, standard and requirements. The Emergency Watsan officer will be in charge to implement and follow-up the drilling and the rehabilitation of boreholes, supervising the construction of Block of emergency latrine and shower, shelter or any other task as assigned by his line manager, while collaborating with other members of the SI Emergency Team and program teams of SI and other agencies with which ERT may be responding jointly.
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Emergency Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites.
- Conduct technical assessments on WASH Facilities
- Monitoring the technical activities ensuring compliance with the SI standards and SPHERE minimum standards.
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out.
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers.
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader.
- Carry out work according to technical design, guidelines, and estimates.
- Respect deadlines established with his/her line manager.
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources.
- Organize, plan, and supervise community participation during activity implementation.
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them.
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population.
- Prepare technical designs, BOQ, TOR and other technical documents/narratives relevant to the construction o/project work (Drawings, BoQs and Narrative)
- Train daily workers (Carpenters, Masons etc). Recruit and trained daily workers (Carpenter, Mason, Plumber etc) in accordance with S.I DW recruitment policy
- In collaboration with the Hygiene promoter, conduct training on operations and maintenance for WASH committees.
- Liaise closely with the hygiene promotion team and relevant stakeholders throughout the planning, design, and implementation stages of the WASH technical activities.
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department.
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors.
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager.
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader.
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration.
- Maintenance of high technical standards in accordance with SI technical specification.
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Solidarites International Nigeria mission staff regulations, S.I mandate and charter including promotion of gender equality and inclusive programming.
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying out of activities and to project objectives.
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries.
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required by his/her team leader and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- Training: B.Eng. / HND in Civil and Water Resources Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture
- Project related skills: good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up
- IT skills: Good knowledge of Office/CAD software: Auto CAD, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Reliability, Honest, Accountability, Resistance to Stress, Good interpersonal skills, team player, Prioritization of task
What We Offer
Salary + Transport, Leave & housing allowance + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of Annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by government, festive bonus, Life insurance – covering death and permanent disability) etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th March, 2023.
- Select Emergency WATSAN Officer, fill the form and attach your CV and motivation letter.
- The CV attached must be named with your first name and surname.
Note: Solidarités International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the application closing date
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Emergency WATSAN Officer at Solidarites International
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.