Emergency Response Manager at Street Child of Nigeria
Street Child is a UK charity, established in 2008, that aims to create educational opportunity for some of the world’s most vulnerable children. Street Child began its work in Sierra Leone in 2008 working with a small number of street children, eight years later we have helped to transform the lives of more than 50,000 children across Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal. In 2017, we launched our first project in Nigeria helping children impacted by conflict in the North East to access education.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Response Manager
- Reporting to the Country Director, the Emergency Response Manager (ERM) is expected to provide strategic leadership in all areas of humanitarian programming. He/she is responsible for the quality
- and effectiveness of Street Child of Nigeria’s humanitarian response in Northeast of Nigeria. The Emergency Response Manager is to strengthen the country office’s overall capacity to be prepared for and respond to emergencies in accordance with SCoN’s principles and practices. He/she is also expected to actively contribute to the delivery of Street Child of Nigeria Country Strategic Plan and its localisation agenda.
- The ERM will oversee the development and implementation of SCoN’s Emergency Response Plan including strategic oversight on implementation of the programme portfolio, maintaining and building relationships with donors and ensuring national implementing partner development plans are relevant and effective. The ERM will also have overall responsibility for the northeast budget while ensuring the regular development of Sitreps and reports, representing the organisation at various clusters, working groups and towards external as well as internal humanitarian actors.
- He/she will be the focal point for the running of the North East office while having responsibility for the management of the emergency response team which is spread across SCoN emergency response locations.
- The emergency response manager will also be expected to support the development of operations outside of the North-East, providing surge support where necessary for programme management in new areas of operation, primarily in the North West states as implementation is planned to commence in early 2023.
- The ideal candidate would have a good background in humanitarian / fragile development context, used to working with multiple donor and budgets. The successful candidate will also have proven coaching, teamwork and communication skills, and excellent leadership ability. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are
- also expected.
- Ensure Street Child adheres to best international standards for emergency response relating to the Core Humanitarian Standards and the Humanitarian Principles.
- Identifying areas of improvement of programmes with integration of new trends, knowledge aligned with needs and gaps that might arise during implementation
- In collaboration with the Security Advisor maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian emergency situation and adjust activities accordingly.
- Oversee the process for timely quality programme reports in line with donor requirements.
- Build and maintain good relationships with UN, clusters and government agencies in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- Work with M&E manager to ensure an effective M&E framework with timely submission of accurate project data, assessments and reports. Build a strong feedback and communication loop with project teams to inform project decision making.
- Work with Operations Manager to ensure procurement and logistics support are in line with project plans
- Coordinate the development of all project implementation plans and budgets within the framework of the agreed emergency response programme and strategy.
- Work with Department & Project Managers in the emergency response team to ensure timely and quality delivery of programme activities in line with workplan, M&E framework and expenditure plan
- Lead on programme reviews with managers to ensure consistency and integration across departments, ensuring a strong and coherent implementation approach.
- Conduct regular programmes monitoring to identify opportunity for programme enhancement and ensure alignment with programme objectives
- Ensure the Country Director and the Head of Programmes are kept informed about assessment progress, emergency response implementation and strategies, project plans, progress reports, and other significant developments.
- In collaboration with the Partnerships and Proposals Coordinator identify funding opportunities and support proposal development with the Technical Specialists ensuring use of participatory methodologies.
- Pro-actively network to build external relations, supporting fund raising efforts to expand the portfolio of grants to finance a multiyear response plan
Administration and Finance:
- Ensure with the Operations Manager the compliance with all host country legal, contractual, labour, and statutory requirements
- Ensure with the Finance manager the establishment, as necessary, and maintenance of SCoN’s financial management and accounting systems for all emergency assessment and response activities and assets.
- With support from the Finance Team ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure with the Operations Manager the establishment and maintenance of a functional procurement and supply chain management system.
Staff Management and Leadership:
- Promote a productive work environment with zero tolerance for verbal or physical misconduct, or discrimination against other persons on the grounds of race, colour, sex, or creed.
- Conduct performance appraisals for directly line managed staff in line with Street Child global performance appraisal guidelines, ensuring regular feedback and mentoring on individual performance
- Attend regular SLT and CLT meetings and ensure follow up of action points
- Actively contribute to the delivery and review of Street Child’s Nigeria Country Strategic Plan.
Education / Qualifications:
- Educated to Degree or higher in International Development, Human Rights or related field.
Attributes Essential Beneficial
Experience and Knowledge:
- Demonstratable experience in leading complex multi-sectorial programmes in fragile contexts including education and/or protection
- Demonstratable experience in a program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO.
- Proved experience in grants management for large and complex programmes, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., for projects funded by multiple public donors with relevant budgets.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including Sphere, the humanitarian system, donors, security, civil military liaison and program management.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
- Team management experience including coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Ability to provide technical leadership &/ strategic direction.
- Strong experience in emergency response – particularly complex / protracted crises
- Good understanding of the Nigerian humanitarian operating environment
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Ability to effectively represent the Agency in a variety of public and private forums.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills.
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education.
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver independently and under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Committed to and familiar with safeguarding approaches including anti-sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse.
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences.
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility, and dependability.
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary.
- Position open for national and international staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and a brief covering letter outlining your suitability and motivations for applying to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted so interested candidates are encouraged to apply early
Application Deadline 7th February, 2023.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Emergency Response Manager at Street Child of Nigeria
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria