ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises work with people living in poverty and exclusion; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world.
ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
We invite applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below within the organisation:
Job Title: Director of Finance
Location: Country Office, Abuja
Responsible To: Country Director
Line Management: Head of Finance, Partnership Finance Manager
- The post holder will be part of the Senior Management/Country Management Team of AAN that make key strategic decisions and provide input to strategic plans.
- S/he is required to ensure the financial and legal integrity of ActionAid as well as donors’ requirement on financial management within the framework of the policies and procedures established nationally, internationally and the requirements of the local and international law.
Annual Budgeting and Planning:
- Lead critical financial planning of the long term, short term and consolidate plans and budgets for review and approval by AAN Board and Global Secretariat.
- Ensure that above plans are consistent with guidelines and procedures of the Global secretariat and in accordance with specific needs of ActionAid Nigeria.
- Coordinate income allocation process according to the national Resource Allocation Framework (RAF).
- Design budget templates for use by AA and partners organisations.
- Coordinate budget review in line with cost norms and the guidelines.
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual reports in line with guidelines and deadlines set by GS finance.
- Prepare and submit financial report in line with statutory requirement.
- Provide guidelines on financial planning process to related staff.
Organisational & Corporate Development:
- Ensure that accurate and timely financial and management reports of interest are brought to the attention of relevant bodies i.e. CMT, donors, etc.
- Set the budget exchange rate toward reducing the negative impact of the exchange rate fluctuation.
- Participate in international meeting/workshops or network with regard to finance both within and outside AA.
Systems, Policies & Procedures Management:
- Ensure effective systems are in place to allow adequate financial monitoring and reporting
- Coordinate management response to internal and external audit findings, and ensure proper follow up on agreed recommendations of both internal and external auditors.
- Lead the drafting of National Resource Allocation Framework and recommend for National Board approval
- Take a lead in designing, installing, implementing, and maintaining adequate accounting and internal control systems.
- Support internal audit unit in risk identification and mitigation.
- Ensure ActionAid funds and assets are being used for rightful purposes as intended by donors.
- Ensure compliance to AA policies, donor requirement and local laws.
- Lead the update of finance policy on regular basis in line with changes in global FMF or laws of Nigeria.
- Support the development of fundraising investment plan.
- Support the review of financial terms and conditions in donor contracts before appropriate sign off.
- Provide technical support to all Finance & non-finance staff in ActionAid Nigeria and oversee capacity development for partner organisations.
- Provide orientation and reorientation to all staff to help them understand the finance systems, policies, and procedures of the organisation.
- Provide oversight to finance staff in managing performance, providing induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and trained; and that they understand and carry out their responsibilities to the required standards.
- Participate in recruitment of senior finance staff and management staff.
- Facilitate the development of Job descriptions for finance staff to ensure that all relevant roles and responsibilities are included
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by line manager.
Key Working Relationships
- All staff
- Partners, Relevant Government Agencies, Donor Community, INGO Community and other stakeholders.
Education / Qualifications:
- First Degree in Accounting / Finance
- Master’s Degree in Accounting / Finance
- Nationally recognised Professional Accounting Qualification.
- At least 12 years post NYSC experience
- At least 8 years post professional qualification experience with 6 years in a senior management position
- Experience in implementing financial control systems
- Experience in using Accounting Systems & Spreadsheets
- Experience working with different cultures and nationalities.
- Audit experience
- Experience in working with INGO in a similar position.
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of SUN software.
Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent management & leadership skills
- Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages between staff, partners & stakeholders
- Ability to work without supervision
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to interface effectively with other members of staff and solve problems using own initiative
- Demonstrable versatility in use Microsoft office packages.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to multitask.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Accuracy and attention to details
- High integrity
- Willingness to work additional hours when necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the Application Form below and send in MS Word attachment to: [email protected] using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
Click here for the Application Form (Ms Word)
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- Subject line of emails must state clearly, job title of position applied for and location.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse in line with our Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns
Application Deadline 8th September, 2021.