World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Management Officer
Job ID: 2106562
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Objectives of the Programme
- The SMO Cluster in the WHO country office in Nigeria supports the strengthening of the national health information system to improve the availability, quality and use of health data and information as a basis for better results and accountability, for the policy development and decision-making at different levels.
- This support includes the creation of synergies with the WHO Regional Office for Africa, the Ministry of Health of Nigeria and partners, including academic institutions, to:
- Align investments with the national health information and monitoring system and the evaluation
- The provision of technical support for the production, collection, analysis and synthesis, and dissemination of health data and information
- For the development and promotion of harmonized standards, tools and methodologies for the collection, analysis and synthesis of data, and the dissemination of health data and information and the application of knowledge.
- In addition, through the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme in Nigeria, the WCO will help the country to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to & recover from outbreaks & emergencies.
Description of Duties
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Provide technical support to the Ministry of Health for the strengthening of data collection, analysis, reporting and information dissemination for communicable and non-communicable disease.
- To that end contribute to the scaling up of diseases surveillance timeliness and completeness of reporting.
- Contribute to the building the Ministry of health Data base within the framework of Health Information System, Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response and Monitoring and evaluation national strategic national plans within the WCO,
- Support the strengthening of the National Public Health Laboratory Capacity in data management and reporting
- Mobilize WHO technical assistance at all levels (WCO, IST/ESA, AFRO and HQ) to strengthen the Ministry of Health integrated approach for Data Management
- Contribute to the WCO biennial and annual planning exercises ensuring that Data management aspects are taken into account.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of the WCO Cooperation programmes through collection, compilation, analysis of data on relevant programme indicators10)
- Coordinate and manage all data from disease surveillance including SIA and routine immunization, outbreak investigation and produce weekly reports on epidemic prone diseases, monthly and quarterly reports as component of the WCO monthly report.
- Facilitate regular training needs assessment for data management and support the organization of training sessions for data mangers and other health personnel
- Coordinate, in close collaboration with other NPOs, the support to the Ministry of Health Data Quality Control and assurance programme
- Perform other duties as may be requested by supervisor.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required and assigned by supervisor and senior management.
- Essential: University Degree in Statistics, Information Technology or Computer Science or related field from a recognized institution.
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in above domains/training in public health data collection and management information.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in epidemiological data collection management and analysis of health related data bases.
- Knowledge of health management information system and implementation of epidemiological surveillance activities
- Working experience with WHO or other UN Agency would be an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of electronic data analysis tools, Advanced knowledge of statistical package specially EPI info 2000, STATA or ACCESS and mapping software particularly Health Mapper, Epimap or Mapinfo.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.proven experience to function within multi disciplinary and multinational teams.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN22,134,904 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information & Notice
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s) / diploma(s) / certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings
Application Deadline 21st December, 2021 at 11:59:00 PM