Creative Associates International provides outstanding, on-the-ground development services and forges partnerships to deliver sustainable solutions to global challenges. Its experts focus on building inclusive educational systems, transitioning communities from conflict to peace, developing sustainable economic growth, engaging youth, promoting transparent elections and more. Creative is recognized for its ability to quickly adapt and excel in conflict and post-conflict environments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Communication Officer
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full-time
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Creative Associates International to implement the Northeast Connection activity to strengthen the resilience of communities vulnerable to violent extremist infiltration and conflict
- By targeting communities not yet under the control of violent extremist organizations (VEOs), this activity will seize the opportunity to mitigate the grievances that make communities vulnerable to violent extremism, while building social cohesion within and across communities in northeast Nigeria
- In addition to helping northeastern Nigerians create a stronger foundation against the violent extremist and conflict threats, the activity is designed to develop local capacity to respond to emerging threats
- In order to enable flexible and adaptive management of the activity in a complex environment, the activity includes a focused effort on research and analysis of the threats and coordination around programmatic opportunities and responses.
- The Communications Officer will provide a high-degree of support to the USAID-funded North East Connection program to ensure the program’s positive visibility with the client, implementing partners, relevant host government offices and selected communities
- To meet these and other related goals, the Communications Officer will produce written, photo and video stories about its implementation
- The Communications Officer will collaborate with program staff to identify stories, take the lead in developing these topics and produce the content
- The ability to synthesize complex subjects, work quickly and produce accurate material are critical to the Communications Officer’s success
- Work takes place primarily in Nigeria’s North East and will require travel.
Reporting & Supervision:
- This position is based in Yola, Adamawa and reports to the MEL Manager.
Consistent with the North East Connection’s communications plan and USAID’s goals, the Communications Officer is expected to:
- Deliver quality content – written stories, short video scripts and basic photography – using a journalistic style that reflects the scope and results of the program’s work
- Update printed marketing materials, online program descriptions and related materials
- Fulfill administrative duties related to communications
- As needed, supervise consultants and freelancers, including videographers and video editors
- Work on occasional multimedia packages – including preproduction (planning, logistics, consultants, etc.), field production and post-production (script writing, video editor, approvals, etc.) – with the HQ Communications Department.
- Identify topics and content that could be turned into basic infographics, and work with outside consultants and HQ Communications to make them
- Develop compelling and visually attractive PowerPoint presentations that demonstrate the NE Connection’s advancements and successes
- Provide communications support to Program colleagues, including events and branded materials
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or a related field
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience in journalism, communications or public relations
- Proven writing and editing skills in English
- Ability to build relationships and establish rapport with colleagues, both in person and virtually
- Ability to work independently and contribute to larger team projects
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills
- Availability to travel to field locations in support of communications efforts.
- Ability to identify content ideas, find interesting angles and tell stories in a compelling, accurate, authentic and respectful way
- Understand how to effectively interview people
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience planning, coordinating and carrying out video productions (including script writing, interaction with contract videographers and video editors) is very helpful
- Video editing skills are desired, videography and photography skills a plus
- Experience in Abode Creative Suite, including Premiere and Photoshop are helpful.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail
Application Deadline 5th May, 2021.