Certifying Officer at the African Union
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Certifying Officer (APRM)
Requisition ID: 1657
Location: Midrand, South Africa
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Reports to: Head of Finance
Organization: African Union
Directorate/Department/Organ: African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM)
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical support and advise in the management of financial services and the broader management of the APRM regarding budgeting and financial reporting and analysis.
- Provides technical assistance in the preparation and implementation of the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Liaises with APRM Member States and AU Policy organs on relevant matters as required
- Provides support in preparation and development of reports, budget and work programmes related to the respective area and the functioning of the Division
- Provides support in budget preparation for the Division/Unit in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Assists in the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Provides support in development of strategies, policies, programmes and plan
- Supervises employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
- Conducts analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner and for AU’s internal use.
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Certify that the payments are legal, proper, accurate and complete before the actual payment.
- Verify that funds are allocated for each payment.
- Pre-audit all payrolls, claims and other financial transactions upon certification by the authorized person that the amount was due and unpaid according to the records.
- Reviewing receipts, adjustments and disbursement requests
- Establishing controls, using policy guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles, for the prevention of waste, fraud and mismanagement.
- To report to management any financial irregularities as required
- Verify that financing agreements with development partners comply with Financial Rules and Regulations and relevant policies
- Verify the quality and completeness of financial reports to all stakeholders.
- Review and validate the approval of the annual budget before loading it into the system.
- Certify that travel advances and retirement are accurate, complete and timely settled.
- Assisting in identifying, assessing, and monitoring risks and implementing the necessary controls to keep the risk exposure to an acceptable level.
- Controlling all expenditures to ensure that budget appropriations are not overspent.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Financial Management, Auditing, Accounting, or Commerce with 5 years progressive work experience in auditing, budgeting, accounting and financial management.
- A professional qualification in accounting such as CIA, CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent from a recognized Institution will be and added advantage.
- Experience of working in a certification, audit or inspection type (or related) role within public sector institutions or similar organizations nationally, regionally and/or internationally is desirable.
- Master's Degree in Finance Management, Auditing or Accounting, or Commerce with 2 years’ progressive work experience in auditing, budgeting, accounting, and financial management.
- A professional qualification in accounting such as CIA, CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent from a recognized Institution will be and added advantage.
- Experience of working in a certification, audit or inspection type (or related) role within public sector institutions or similar organizations nationally, regionally and/or internationally is desirable
- Experience in working on ERP-SAP
- Knowledge of the finance standard practices, procedures and technicalities
- Ability to interpret and implement financial rules and policies
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills, report writing and presentation skills
- Planning, organizing and coordination skills
- Ability to work with a diverse team.
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Result
- Continuous Improvement Focus.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th March, 2023.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Certifying Officer at the African Union
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.