Case Management Officer at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Case Management Officer
Job ID: 230000H3
Location: Dutse, Jigawa
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have occasional contact with or access to children or young people
- The Case Management Officer is responsible for ensuring that quality case management and psychosocial support services are provided to internally displaced persons mostly children.
- They will have their capacities developed to provide these kinds of protection to children in a range of Save the Children’s emergency responses worldwide.
- The Case Management Officer will be expected to support sectoral assessment, project planning, and coordination.
- In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or build capacity of implementing partners on the field.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Response Team Lead
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Budget responsibility: None
Key Areas of Accountability
- Support the Case Management Coordinator/Project Coordinator to develop, implement, and monitor quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of the project activities, budgets, and procurement.
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan activities in the work plan and provide input into the development, ongoing management, and maintenance of the work plan.
- Support in conducting child protection assessments using SC assessment processes and tools and the Inter-agency Child Protection Assessment Resource Toolkit. Adapt the Assessment Tool as necessary. Coordinate with other SC thematic areas, the national/district Child Protection Working Group and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific, disaggregated analysis of children’s needs.
- With support from the lead Case Management Coordinator or other senior program staff, develop monthly and quarterly plans and costed plans, contributing towards an overall thematic program plan. From the strategy initiate programming in the following areas as appropriate:
- Support to the psychosocial (physical, social, emotional) well-being of children and their families.
- Emergency family tracing interventions and alternative care options for unaccompanied and separated children, utilizing tools within the Inter-Agency Child Protection Information Management System
- Prevention and response to sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and gender-based violence (GBV) in project communities
- Prevention and response to the main risks of children’s exposure to physical harm
- Prevention and response to all forms of exploitation including harmful child labour, and child trafficking
- Support the integration of case management into CFS and PSS
- Support the integration of child protection into other SC emergencies core sectors on the field
- Work with the MEAL plan to ensure links to reporting requirements where possible, and refer the MEAL framework to build an evidence base for child protection programming interventions.
- With support from the CRM/Accountability Officer put in place accountability activities for your project, ensuring that feedback from children and their families is considered in project design.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Settings and the Sphere standard
- Ensure appropriate PSS time schedules are tailored to the physical and mental needs of the children based on age group and gender
- Coordinate monthly meetings including, foster parent’s forum, CRC meetings, and child protection committee
- Ensure that children are followed up and receiving proper case management.
- Ensure that cases are prepared for case discussions/ case management meetings
- Ensure partner staff are well supported to implement the entire project
- In collaboration with the CP coordinator, conduct training for the partner staff, the ministry staff, and other stakeholders.
- With support from the Case Management Coordinator, supervise project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against individual performance management work plans).
- Compile concise quantitative and qualitative reports, case studies, Success stories, etc. on a monthly, and quarterly basis and submit them to the Case Management Coordinator for documentation
- In close collaboration with the RTL/Project Coordinator, manage project field activities, ensuring project objectives are being achieved and ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of fieldwork
- Working closely with the Program Manager, ensure that the project implementation strategy is clearly understood by the implementing teams, and ensure that project plans and strategies are adhered to during implementation,
- Providing technical support, capacity building, and on-the-job supervision to build the capacity of the respective Save the Children’s field staff and partner staff to effectively deliver the project including;
- With support from the lead Case Management Coordinator and/or other senior program staff, prepare and review timely monthly reports submitted by partners
- With support from the lead Child Protection Manager, identify project supplies specific to the program needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Provide essential psychosocial first aid support to children and adults when needed.
- Ensure partner staff (where applicable) are supervised regularly to ensure activities are carried out in line with minimum standard guidelines.
- Consistently maintain referral pathway of project locations
- Responsible for technical supervision and training of all case workers working with the UASC.
- Daily supervision of the Child protection case workers.
- Ensure that caseworkers are trained in case management and the use of the IA CPIMS forms.
- Ensure the quality of the registration forms.
- Make referrals of the registered children to the Ministry of women and social development.
- Ensure that all activities under his/her supervision are conducted so as to comply with the obligations of the SC beneficiaries, staff, and other stakeholders under his/her jurisdiction, in accordance system of quality supervision, including the CPiE minimum standard and SPHERE standards
- Provide capacity to implementing partners that have less CPiE experience
- Provide technical support/capacity building to caseworkers and project staff in the absence of the senior child protection adviser
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with the efforts of other agencies, the Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums including the State Child Protection Sub Working Group, advocating for the specific needs of children. This may involve supporting the coordination of working groups and sub-working groups.
- With support from the Lead Child Protection Manager and/or other senior program staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country.
- In collaboration with the Humanitarian Technical Unit and Child Protection team, feed in learning, experiences, and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practices with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving, and role modeling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Actively listens to different perspectives and experiences of stakeholders
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establishes and maintains clear communication and dialogue with the flood-affected people and other stakeholders
- Establishes clear objectives with partners
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Ensure that program goals and activities uphold the principles of the key national and international humanitarian frameworks, codes, and commitments
- Integrates beneficiary accountability principles into the approach
- Participates in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation mechanisms
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Makes positive statements about work
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met by own preferred solution
- Gives constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to partners and others
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent in Social work, Social Science, Development Studies or equivalent combination of relevant training and experience
- Proven ability to supervise a CP project with a holistic approach and integrated child protection right
- Speaking fluent English and Hausa is an advantage
- Computer literate
- 2 years of experience in protection work, supervision, community mobilization, and a solid understanding of the actual Nigeria Emergency context.
- High level of personal integrity, commitment and professional responsibility
- Mature personality with life experience is an advantage
- Able to be a self-started and work in challenging contexts and fragile environment.
- Excellent communication skills,
- Team player with strong leadership skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th February, 2023.
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Case Management Officer at Save the Children
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.