Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Capacity Building Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract 12 months with possibility to extend
Department: International Programs
Travel: Within NE Nigeria, possibly to other parts of Nigeria
Reporting to: Program Manager, Accountability to Affected People
- The Capacity-Building Officer will be responsible for adapting, localising, delivering and monitoring CLEAR Global/TWB’s capacity building for humanitarian workers, community leaders, and community workers.
- The Capacity-Building Officer will be expected to support community leaders, translators, interpreters, field workers and volunteers of humanitarian agencies providing services in northeast Nigeria as well as working to raise awareness of the language barriers present in the response overall.
- This role will involve increasing the capacity of community leaders, translators, interpreters, field workers and volunteers to bridge the communication divide between the affected population and the humanitarians working to serve them through effective engagement with and promotion of clear 2-way communication with the affected population.
Capacity Building Program Development:
- Capacity building/training needs assessment
- Adapt / localise existing curricula:
- Work with the team and to review existing initiatives
- Identify gaps and proposed capacity building program and/or delivery method and as well as working to ensure materials are appropriate for the local context
- Implement all training and capacity building efforts
- Support consolidation of field and desk linguistic research
- Take direct responsibility for all capacity building sessions, for example, from participant identification to training delivery, logistical arrangements, ensuring costs are covered, to providing training reports, etc.
Strengthening Local Accountability and Community Engagement:
- Working with local leaders, emerging leaders, and civil society, and in coordination with the CEA Working Group, the capacity building officer will identify and strengthen local accountability and community engagement mechanisms through workshops on community engagement, effective communication, and accountability training on working with and getting information to and from relevant stakeholders providing regularly updated multilingual information,
- Access to digital tools for information sharing, Attention will particularly be given to building capacity for the inclusion of women and girls, the elderly and vulnerable.
- Monthly dissemination of key information in 9 languages in text and audio format, initially based on sector priorities, and moving to responding to feedback from the dashboard and the local leaders themselves;
- Production of community engagement information, tools and materials.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Documentation and Ongoing Support:
- Contribute to designing and implementing participant, session and project evaluation tools
- Responsible for tracking all capacity building-related activities
- Work with the programme team and participants to determine the need for follow-up support.
Other Duties as Required:
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to feed into overall project reports in line with donor requirements
- Document and disseminate best practices, innovations, lessons learned and proven methodologies
- Contribute other written materials that support CLEAR Global/TWB needs (brochures, summary project information, etc.)
- Feed into CLEAR Global/TWB’s advocacy and communication efforts as needed
- Maintain open and professional relationships with the internal team, volunteers, and partners
- Any reasonable duty requested by the line manager
- The role will evolve along with the overall project to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and humanitarian community in the emergency response as needed.
- Degree (or recognized formal qualifications) in Education or Social Sciences
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience delivering training and facilitation in a linguistically diverse environment
- Experience in working on capacity building, particularly with local leaders and women leaders
- Experience delivering Training of Trainers (ToT) content
- Formal teaching experience a plus
- Demonstrated community outreach a plus
- Track record of working with small teams
- Fluent command of Hausa and English required,
- Knowledge of Kanuri and other languages of northeast Nigeria a plus
- Willingness to travel to insecure locations for work
- Familiarity with the translation, language or content industries a plus
- The Capacity Building Officer should be a creative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, who is enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language.
- The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with CLEAR Global/TWB´s Core Values and who can work both individually and as part of a team.
- Willing to explore new technologies
- Active listener, diplomatic and solution-oriented
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in development and/or disaster relief, is a plus.
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions
- USD1,300 – USD1,700 salary monthly.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Due to the urgency of this vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date
Application Deadline 7th July, 2022.
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.