The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is the government agency with the mandate to coordinate the surveillance, detection and response to infectious disease outbreaks. Over the last three years, NCDC has deployed a new tool for disease surveillance. The Surveillance, Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) is a system jointly developed between the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) to improve disease surveillance as well as detection and management of outbreaks and thus strengthen the public health service in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: C19RM Health Product Management and Logistics (HPML) Specialist
Reports: Head of Logistics Unit
- We seek candidates for the position of Global Fund (GF) C19RM Health Product Management and Logistics Specialist focusing mainly on the C19RM commodities supported by GF.
- This individual will provide support as part of the NCDC GF Grant Management Unit (GMU) which oversees the NCDC’s Global Fund Grant. GF grants include the Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH2) and the COVID-19 Response Mechanism (C-19 RM).
- NCDC seeks a Health Product Management and Logistics Specialist who will be part of the Grants Management Unit (GMU) and provide logistics and supply chain management support for health products for COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
- The Specialist, Health Products Management as a key member of the NCDC- GF Project Management Unit plays a key role in the efficient management of grants, ensures the provision of adequate technical expertise for complex and strategic matters and support to analyze risks and propose solutions for the efficient implementation of pharmaceutical management, service delivery and supply chain management activities for health products in NCDC.
- He/she also participates in the development of Global Fund operational policies and guidelines related to HPM.
The main responsibilities of the Specialist, Health Product Management include:
Advising on HPM aspects of Global Fund investment:
- Throughout the C19RM grant implementation, the Specialist, HPM ensures strategic investments and value for money from a health product management perspective, by
- Engaging with NCDC supply management in identifying gaps and areas of improvement, and support new or innovative health product related initiatives, to facilitate rapid uptake of new technologies, optimize treatment and testing for COVID-19 and other priority infectious diseases in line with international guidelines in order to improve performance of supply chain systems and programmatic impact respectively.
- Support validation of the PSM arrangements and the supply plan, including forecasting and related budget for health products for cOVID-19 and other infectious diseases and provide appropriate mitigation measures to address gaps/challenges, including short-term and longer-term solutions and recommendations for pharmaceutical systems strengthening investment.
- Facilitating access to appropriate technical assistance.
- Proposing innovative and constructive solutions to operational challenges and way forward (updated policies, tools, guidance, specific approach to infectious diseases);
- Pro-actively identify ways to streamline processes to improve sub-national and health facilities access to health products,
- Facilitate timely start-up of GF grants and supporting grant implementation through training and other capacity building initiatives especially in relation to Health Product Management.
Contributing to the development of the risk and assurance framework:
- Identify key risks related to health product management and HPM arrangements and ensure that appropriate mitigation measures are in place for the effective and efficient implementation of activities related to the management of health products and improving systems to prevent service disruption and poor quality of services, use of substandard health products, and ensure effective use of grant funds.
- Escalate any HPM, service delivery related risks to GF grant manager and Director, Supply Chain Management lead, as necessary.
- Ensure adherence to the Global Fund policies and reviewing instances of non-compliance and proposing remedial actions;
- Develop mechanism and systems of HPM assurance in NCDC and enable NCDC meet GF requirements and meet targets expected in performance framework and assessments.
Contributing to the development and roll out of strategies and operational policies:
- Involved in specific work streams and deliverables on HPM
- Recognised internally as an expert and source of reference for other colleagues in the other departments;
- Contributing to or leading priority initiatives as coordinated by Head of Supply Chain Management
- Contributing to internal trainings and guidance on Global Fund HPM policies, procedures and tools.
Other specific Responsibilities:
- Manage the inventory for prevention, investigation, detection, and response commodities at the National strategic stockpile warehouses; compile daily inventory logistics management reports for the supply chain management.
- Work with the Supply chain Management Team (SCMT) to support storage and stock movement of all commodities used for investigation, detection and response with a special focus on data capture and reporting.
- Assist with identification, receiving, and validation of all inbound commodities (procurement and donations and reporting same to supply chain Head as a daily report.
- Assist in picking, packaging, labelling of issued items to the facilities in coordination with the supply chain officers and the SCMT
- Support the forecasting and update of the monthly distribution plan for the C19 RM diagnostic test through the provision of utilization data.
- Update weekly stock movement report for review by the Supply chain officer, and onward communication to the SCMT.
- Work with the NCDC Logistics Officers to support proper management of health commodities with a special focus on data capture and reporting
- Coordinate the receipt of and collation of reports on the utilization of diagnostic tests from designated labs.
- Liaise with program officer coordination to ensure requested reports from the laboratory are prepared and available on time to be shared with NACA -PR
- Maintain a working relationship with key stakeholders to ensure achievement of the scheme’s objectives
- Manage communications and attend to all requests from NACA-PR in a prompt manner.
- Help build positive relations within the NCDC team and external parties
- Support the planning, coordination, and oversight of the implementation of the Global Fund COVID-19 Response Mechanism (C19RM) program to strengthen COVID-19 response in Nigeria in relations to logistics and warehousing
- Support in monitoring and developing program reports of the C19RM. Collate and prepare periodic reports and records on program activities, progress, status reports as required by NACA-PR.
- Any other duties assigned by the NCDC Head of supply chain.
- Support to develop/update of a monthly distribution plan for C19 commodities procured with GF resources.
- Prepare quarterly reports that document stock received, stock status and stock distributed, etc
- Contribute to the development of the consolidated quarterly report of NCDC GF C19 RM report that documents achievements, challenges and recommendations of the project.
- Reported to GF supply chain officer coordinating management of GF products.
- Attend weekly meetings of NCDC and NACA teams and follow up on logistics-related action items from the meeting and ensure their prompt implementation
- Essential: Advanced University Degree in Pharmacy, Medicine or Public Health.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience working in pharmaceutical management, procurement and supply-chain management of health products at national level, including:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in managing complex PSM situations, managing/mitigating risks related to health products at country, sub-national or international level.
- Experience in developing partnerships on health product selection, uptake of new technologies, procurement and supply management matters at national or sub-national or international level
- Proven track record in leading work streams or teams in multi-cultural environment
- Experience in developing PSM related policies, operational tools, and guidance
- Understanding of public health, logistics and molecular diagnostics
- Diploma or Certificate in Supply chain management
- Master’s in Business Administration is an added advantage
- Experience in both demand and supply side activities related to pharmaceutical management and in particular related to infectious diseases, COVID-19.
- Languages: An excellent knowledge of English (written and verbal).
- Health Product Management
- Demonstrated sound knowledge and expertise of pharmaceutical management good practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the complexity of procurement and supply chain management models for health products including demand projections and supply delivery mechanisms/models. Updated on the innovative solutions used across the sector to find sustainable solutions in managing supply chains for health products.
- At least 2 years’ experience of leading GF programme, in supply chain management
- Good understanding of health system operations and legal matters that govern pharmaceutical sector (regulation of pharmaceutical/health products, legal framework on which medical stores operate, flow of funds in health sector, policy decision making structures)
- Demonstrates ability to understand and apply GF policies and procedures related to grant management and apply these effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Capacity to take the lead in solving complex issues. Adapt policy and guidance to the reality / context.
- Capacity to design an assurance plan to verify adequate implementation of PSM activities, and corrective measures.
- Ability to lead, collaborate and coordinate work and technical assistance at national and sub-national level with technical partners and other donors.
- Detail-oriented and efficient, proactive problem solver
- Skill in organizing work of self and others.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all NCDC Staff):
Rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of NCDC and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Integrity, Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships, Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset, Accountability & Stewardship.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidates should submit on the portal their suitability statement and CV as a single document with the job title clearly indicated as the subject matter on the portal.
- NCDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, state origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Application Deadline 5PM; 30th June 2022.
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.