Accounting Manager at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accounting Manager
Requisition Number: ACCOU003248
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Category: Finance & Compliance
Travel Required: Yes
Supervisory Responsibility: Abuja Senior Finance Officer, Finance Officer and Finance Assistant(s)
Reports Directly To: Finance and Compliance Director
Works Directly With: Finance Managers, Field Finance/Accounting staff, Program staff, HR and Operations staff, HQ IFOs / AFOs, Sub-award Unit
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Abuja including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance and Compliance Director, the Accounting Manager will have primary responsibility for management & effectiveness of Mercy Corps Nigeria’s accounting function.
- The Accounting Manager will ensure a high level of efficiency as well as accuracy and completeness of accounting records. This role will also provide training, coaching and regular feedback to finance staff taking part in or managing the monthly accounting cycle, ensuring all accounting controls are effective both at field and country offices.
- As required, the Accounting Manager will examine the accounting function staffing structure and make necessary adjustments to ensure functional roles and clearly designated responsibilities.
- S/he will ensure standard routine accounting practices in all offices as stated in minimum performance indicators and complete the relevant payroll, Tax and HQ accounting reports for Mercy Corps Nigeria.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Accounting Management & Team Capacity Building:
- Responsible for management and oversight and effectiveness of accounting function within the Finance Department; ensures country-wide coordination, preparation and the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ and FY-end close-out process
- Oversee and coordinates timely preparation of month-end/quarterly balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded in compliance with MC policies and local laws.
- The lead in the accounts management, upgrades and implementation of any changes in the accounting software (Navigator Citrix System)
- Oversee daily entries into the system, identifies errors and coordinates with respective team members any corrective actions; does and follows up on regular transaction review and posting within Navigator
- Monitors and reviews process and accuracy of transaction entry in all MC Nigeria offices; regularly review balance sheet accounts, coordinates corrections and reclasses with the team, review and post journal entries.
- Oversee national staff payroll processing, accruals, reconciliations, end-of-service and statutory deduction calculations.
- Review Potential procurement of a payroll system and offer a continuous review of the payroll system.
- In charge of month-end and fiscal year-end closure / General ledger finalization & submission to HQ offices for review; the main point of contact with HQ on all accounting matters
- Ensure that accounting records are always organized (soft and hard copies) and are accessible for easy review and retrieval.
- Ensure compliance with Nigeria’s statutory requirements (PAYE, WHT, pension, etc.); monitors timely remittances to relevant institutions, and liaise with relevant tax consultants and authorities
- Provide regular transaction reviews as per the AAM level assigned
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from field offices to ensure accuracy and support consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ.
- Contributes to the development and update of local accounting and other policies; as member of finance management team assist with interpretation and enforces implementation and compliance with any HQ and locally developed policies
- Daily management of finance staff through training, scheduling, coaching and regular communication of job expectations to ensure minimum accounting controls are effective.
- When required, review and delineate clear roles and responsibilities within the accounting function, communicate clearly any changes required and ensure that team understands their roles
- Train and support field finance officers with the aim to reduce coding errors, building their capacity and increasing efficiency across the team.
- Support audit efforts from the accounting function, both internal & external audits; Assist the Finance Director in responding to audit inquiries.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Train the relevant finance staff on the month-end accounting close process and adjustments, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger entries and all supporting documentation within the country; train the team on the maintenance of hard and soft copies of accounting records as per MC policies and local law requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular feedback.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options, take ownership and be accountable.
- Ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, work plan, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves
Knowledge and Experience
- A University Degree in Accounting or equivalent certification is required (CPA, ACA or ACCA preferable).
- Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Four years of experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience training others on financial systems.
- Knowledge of Nigeria tax regulations
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- Training will be a key output/success factor of this role to ensure that the Nigeria finance team are structured and properly trained to perform their functions with minimal oversight.
- The Accounting Manager must be willing to travel and spend at minimum 20% of his/her time in Mercy Corps field offices.
- A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The Accounting Manager is based in the capital city of Abuja. Air travel is necessary to reach some field locations.
- Mobile phone services are widely available. Internet is available in all Mercy Corps offices and Guest Houses with some inconsistencies in the most remote sites.
- This position requires travel by air and road to field offices.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision.
- Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis.
- We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th January, 2023.
- Applicants should have their CV and Cover Letters in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply
Before applying for this job, read:
Thank you for viewing: Accounting Manager at Mercy Corps
Please share this job post to your friends and family.
View Latest Jobs in Nigeria By Industry
- Agricultural / Agro-Allied Jobs
- Aviation Jobs
- Building / Construction Jobs
- Business / Finance Jobs
- Education / Training Jobs
- Entertainment Jobs
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities
- Fashion / Lifestyle Jobs
- Government Jobs
- Health / Medical Jobs
- Hospitality / Travel / Tourism Jobs
- International / Multinational Jobs
- IT and Telecoms Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Manufacturing / Industrial Jobs
- Maritime Jobs
- Media / Publishing Jobs
- NGO / Humanitarian Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Pharmaceutical Jobs
- Power / Steel / Energy Jobs
- Professional Bodies / Associations
- Real Estate Jobs
- Recruitment / Consulting Companies
- Retail / Sales Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Transport / Logistics / Haulage Jobs
- Religion Jobs
- Hot Nigerian Jobs
- Scholarship in Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest job vacancies in Nigeria delivered to your inbox.